Does this look like fungus? (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlazednSleepy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What do you guys think? It's not a fluffy white substance it almost looks like calcium build up. It looks flaky. Im on my 2nd treatment of Mardel Maracyn PLus with no such luck. I was wondering what you guys though about Mardel Maroxy? or if any body knows the specific type of fungus this fish has and what treatment is best? I dont wanna loose the little guy.

I also noticed one of my cardinal tetras has little strings hanging off of his rear fin..fungus?

img_1270571_0_e493a6223bf1674564adbece3d34b83e.jpg

Pleas help guys I'm confused. Theres also seems to be a little growth under his mouth. You can see it in the picture.

Well, every single harlequin rasbora I ever bought came with the same kind of fungus, but on the pec fins. I used Melafix AND Pimafix for 10 days, and almost all survived.
If this has been going on for more than a week, you might need to get some stronger anti-fungal meds than the Mela/Pima.

What are the parameters of your tank? How long has it been cycled and what is your water change schedule?

I wouldn't change to another medication right now. I would add carbon to your filter, to remove the maroxy. Do a large water change and try the pimafix/melafix treatment for a few days.

Carbon has been in the filter since the treatment of maroxy.
I have two 350 penguin filters with 8 carbon filter media in total. 4 in each

Do you think that could be why its not working?

Carbon removes medication from the water. I believe most medications say do not use carbon in the filter. That would be my first suspect in why meds are not working.

However I would still do a large water change and then in a day or two use the melafix/pimafix.

Ok, my last water change was on Monday. About 45%.

How big should do this one tonight? 50%? 75%?

Will too much harm the fish?

Yes you need to remove the carbon for any medication. I would do 50%. Did you add any maroxy since your last water change?

yup I started the maroxy after I did the water change.

So I do have to remove the carbon for the melafix and pima fix?

what if i just remove the carbon now and continue treatment?

You can remove the carbon and continue the treatment if you want. Try it for a couple days and see if there is any improvement.

Back
Top Bottom