Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2015, 04:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Don't know what to do with bully fish :(

Hi, I just got two Balloon Belly Mollies 3 days ago. They live in a 5.5 gallon tank and one of them recently had 5 baby fishies, so I put them in a breeders net for now until my friends sister can come over and adopt them (I dont have room for them). One of the fish (Tiffany) chases the other (Nicky) around and bites her tail, bullying her and not letting her eat. Now Nicky just hides behind plants and doesn't even come out for food anymore... I tried moving Tiffany to my moms fish tank with her beta fish, the beta fish was nice and didn't fight her, but Tiffany seemed to be stressed out in the tank, hiding and whatnot. I felt bad that now both my fish seemed to be stressed, so I moved Tiffany back in with Nicky, but putting a tank divider in between them. I don't like having the tank divider because now they both have small spaces on each side, and since I have baby fish in a breeders net on one side, its even more crowded on one side.
Anyways, my questions is, should I keep them both in the tank and just hope Tiffany will stop bullying Nicky? Should I leave up the divider and let them adjust to the small space? Or should I move Tiffany back in with my moms beta and hope she adjusts there...? I just want all my fishies to be happy ):

- I tried attaching a picture of my tank without the divider, if it shows up you can see the temporary breeders net on the left, and below to the right of the green plant is Nicky (behind that plant is where she always hides)
on the right top corner next to the filter is Tiffany

Old 06-29-2015, 08:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

5.5g is way too small for 1 molly IMO, let alone 2. They need to be in at least a 10g(with no other fish)-20g very minimally stocked espacially if they are dropping fry). Basically they need a lot more space.

Also is your tank cycled? Have you tested the parameters? What is your water change schedule?

I solemnly swear that I am upto no good!

Tags
beta, bully, fish, food, hiding, plants, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com