Dopsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richiestang_78

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my Danios have Dropsy, or what appears to be. It is in a community tank, I want to know what I should do? I have dealt with funguses in the past but this is the forst Bacterial infection. Is it even worth the medicine for a 30cent fish?

At the very least, put the danio in a QT, and I would medicate. You may need to medicate the whole tank regardless if any of your other fish start showing any symptoms. If you remove the danio to the QT watch your main tank carefully for signs of dropsy, and if any of the other fish start showing signs, start medication immediately

Thanks, i moved him to a tank with nothing but danios and will treat him there. But i will watch my main one carefully, should I medicate the tank he was any anyway?

I wouldn't medicate the tank he was in unless the fish start to show symptoms of dropsy. Also, dropsy is a fungal infection. If you try to treat with a medicine targeted at killing bacteria, I don't know if you will be successful or not? What are you using to medicate the tank with now?

From the chart I am using it is classified as a Bacerial and it says to use Maracyn-two, so I probably will pick that up and use it.

Hmm..I have always seen it called a fungal infection, but anyways, that doesn't matter. Maracyn-two is a good way to go. It is expensive, but if you wanna go cheaper, buy Jungle's Fungus Clear Tablets. They are just as good (if not better) IMHO, and like...a third of the cost! :) BTW, if you have a big tank, make sure to pick up atleast 2 boxes of whichever you do buy, don't stop halfway through the recommended time because you ran out of medication! I learned that the hard way! :roll:

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom