Dosing Multiple Medicines - Is It Okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Epicchef

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, i just bought some medicine for my (i believe) fungal infected fish. I have 2 cory catfish with white spots on their heads, and 2 of my zebra danios have them as well. I don't know if it is ick, fungus, or some kind of bacteria that is causing it. It killed all of my fish before this tank, so it is very urgent. ( It begins to spread around their body like a web so what is it?):confused:

In addition, i also bought medicine for bacteria and ick. My second question would be is it okay if i dose these two in addition to the fungal medicine?

(The tank is almost done cycling)

20 Gallon Tall
-------------
Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm
Nitrites: .50 ppm
Ph: 7.0
Soft Water
Very well planted with stargrass and jungle val.

Attachments

• IMAG0048.jpg
    IMAG0048.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 70
Do a quick water change to drop the nitrites. Take a picture of the white stuff in question. Is it fuzzy or dots? Dosing the wrong meds leads to antibiotic resistance. If we can figure out what it is, we can get you what you need to fix it.

It's not necessarily white, it's a whitish greyish outline with a dark indentation in between the cory cat fish's eyes.

it has sort of a patch in it's head with a greyish whitish outline and he is getting quite pale. It dort of surrounds his eyes as well.

Attachments

• IMAG0039.jpg
    IMAG0039.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMAG0045.jpg
    IMAG0045.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 74
Not as far as I know. You have to kill it to get rid of it, which is what the antibiotic does. Otherwise, it simply keeps growing and spreading until it has no more substance to support it, in this case, your fish.

Are there any home remedies? I added salt and turned the temp up to 85.

For Gram-negative, kanamycin and I think Maracyn II. As for the salt, be careful. I think Cory cats are sensitive to salt, but I will look it up to make sure. As for temp, bacteria like heat. Wait a day and slowly bring it back to normal.

White edges on fins too, so is it fungus or bacteria? The pimafix seems to be sustaining the fungus.

White edges on the fins is fin rot. It's a type of bacteria also. I agree. You need to reduce the temperature. Even to a bit below normal to slow the spread. You can dose salt just be careful because, as said, cories can be sensitive. Do you have a quarantine tank?

The danios have a grayish whitish line on their heads w/ a slight white outline on the edge of their fins. I don't think i can get a picture of them becasue they are way too fast.
Cories also have something on their heads. All of these things on their heads are perfectly in the middle. Any clue what the disease is?

Maybe i'm just over reacting. Just tested and ammonia is at .50 could be an ammonia spike. :/

Back
Top Bottom