dropsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eja206

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have 2 or 3 fish that have dropsy at the mo (1 platy and 2 guppies).
I suspect they are beyond treatment as they are looking pretty awful (altho i have been adding a treatment), it is quite likely they will die.

so, my question is: i have had a tank with dropsy before, and they all got it and died. but i don't have a quarantine tank. should i take the worst ones out and kill them to save the rest? or should i let them die naturally in the tank and then remove them?

I know it sounds harsh, but as I said, the disease is quite far along now, and I am pretty sure they are going to die soon.

Any suggestions welcomed.

yeah its rubbish isn't it.
thanks for the advice. how would you suggest humanly killing them?

100% clove oil. Put some water in a bowl, and dump some clove oil in until the water turns whitish, and then put the fish in. They fall asleep, and eventually die painlessly. Then put them in a freezer just to make sure. I will find the actual directions and post them in a second.

Clove Oil (eugenol)

Clove Oil can be found relatively cheap in most health food stores, specialty food stores, and pharmacies. Mix it with warm tank water, and shake. Note, that the Oil is not readily dissolved in water, which is why the shaking is very important. The water will eventually turn white when the correct amount of clove oil has been added. Add the fish to this mixture, and it will slowly die from an overdose of this anesthetic oil. More clove oil may need to be added after the fish is in the solution, so my advice is to not skimp on the initial mixture. ¼ teaspoon per gallon of water is the lethal dosage, however more may be used.

After the fish appears dead, it would be best to either freeze the fish or decapitate it, as fish have been known to wake up after deep sleep, and supposed death from anesthetics.

just looking online where to buy the clove oil.
can i confirm that it is the same clove oil sold to treat toothache?

also shock is a good way. very humane. get freezing cold water with ice cubes and put in freezer for 15 minutes. take the fish in a net and dunk it in the cold. make sure it is freezing tho and not just cold.

No, not humane. It would be like you jumping in a freezing cold lake until you died. The clove oil is like getting really really drunk, and never waking up.

Back
Top Bottom