Dropsy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK thanks I'll go for it! :) and I'll stop adding the melafix and just use the lifeguard even though there is still melafix in the water. Hopefully that will be OK....

Yeah I'm not sure about the melafix. Never heard great things about it at least or Bettas I think it is not good for fish with a labyrinth organ

Thanks.... But the potential mixing of the two meds will be OK? because the melafix will still be in the water and I will be putting the lifeguard in...... Even though I won't be treating with melafix anymore....

Thanks.... But the potential mixing of the two meds will be OK? because the melafix will still be in the water and I will be putting the lifeguard in...... Even though I won't be treating with melafix anymore....

Maybe do another small water change before you add the melafix. You're gonna have to do daily water changes as it is since you're cycling. I would add some water from your tank that you would discard during a water change anyway...no?

Oh I haven't updated my profile in a while...... I finished cycling my tank a while ago. Just to be clear I wouldn't be adding the melafix anymore I would be just adding the lifeguard. But, I was worried about the effects of mixing the two meds because the melafix would still be in the water and I would be treating with the lifeguard only....so do you think I should still try the lifeguard?

Oh I haven't updated my profile in a while...... I finished cycling my tank a while ago. Just to be clear I wouldn't be adding the melafix anymore I would be just adding the lifeguard. But, I was worried about the effects of mixing the two meds because the melafix would still be in the water and I would be treating with the lifeguard only....so do you think I should still try the lifeguard?

Sorry I never got back to you but what I meant was that the bucket would be cycling. And that doing a pwc on the bucket and adding the established tank water could help in both diluting the Melafix and in the cycle.

image-2526174643.jpg

This is what my goldfish looked like with dropsy! This is a common slim goldfish not fancy fat one so you can understand just how big this fish was. Everyone i shown could not believe how big it was and everything i was reading online about how to deal with it said the same thing... Kill it its going to die anyway. Well i took it out of main tank put it in a small tank on its own no meds just clean water everyday. This fish is now completely back to normal back in the big tank with the others and is as healthy as ever! So will people please stop commenting on threads about dropsy saying its over for the fish because its not always the way!!

Basically, if this fish dies ( most likely to happen ) then the other fish will eat it's organs, and that is how dropsy is passed on, there is no cure I am sorry, but you might want to put him/her in a hatchery for the time being, it won't survive if it has dropsy

View attachment 151463

This is what my goldfish looked like with dropsy! This is a common slim goldfish not fancy fat one so you can understand just how big this fish was. Everyone i shown could not believe how big it was and everything i was reading online about how to deal with it said the same thing... Kill it its going to die anyway. Well i took it out of main tank put it in a small tank on its own no meds just clean water everyday. This fish is now completely back to normal back in the big tank with the others and is as healthy as ever! So will people please stop commenting on threads about dropsy saying its over for the fish because its not always the way!!

How long did you leave your goldfish in there? Are you sure it was dropsy? Do not be surprised if it gets dropsy again

She was in there for 2 months and it was dropsy no doubt about it. Clean water everyday and fed peas every 2 days no meds and she has now recovered and been back with the others for around 4 months. All this they will always die from dropsy is bull she is living proof of it so people need to stop telling people to kill there fish! Im also convinced meds do more bad then good half the time clean water is the best thing for any sick fish!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dropsy itself-- from what I understand--- is not a disease but a symptomatic result of a variety of other diseases. Like having a fever could be due to X, Y or Z illness

Thanks for the advice everyone! I just did a 50% water change on the bucket and of course saw the post after I did it about using tank water. Do, I used fresh water(not tank water) that was the same temp and had dechlorinaters in it and then put the lifeguard in. After doing that I read that anything that dechlorinates neutralizes the meds! Ahhhh just a little frustrated..... Anyway I also have some aquarium salt on hand would that help an how much should I put in?

For a dropsied fish, skip the aquarium salt. It puts more stress on their kidneys which are already not working properly. If you want to add a salt, try a tiny amount of epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) which can help to alleviate fluid retention to a degree. Dose at amount of 1/4 to 1/2tsp per 10gallons of water.

Ok so this is kind of an unrelated question but since I've used the buckets for many of my sick fish and my water changing hose, are they safe to use for example, a water change on my main tank. If nnot how should I clean them?

Ok thanks will do...... I have a question for you guys that isn't related to dropsy. I have a fish in my main tank that is eating and isn't showing physical symptoms, but he has been lying behind an ornament on the bottom of the tank and only comes out for food or if the other danio scoots him out. Should I be worried about him/ take him out of the tank? I am planning on taking the danio in the bucket out and putting him in the main tank tommorow... He is eating and looking good! :) Also, when is the soonest time I can add more fish? I was planning on getting some cherry barbs as soon as possible... Any advice would be great!

Ok thanks will do...... I have a question for you guys that isn't related to dropsy. I have a fish in my main tank that is eating and isn't showing physical symptoms, but he has been lying behind an ornament on the bottom of the tank and only comes out for food or if the other danio scoots him out. Should I be worried about him/ take him out of the tank? I am planning on taking the danio in the bucket out and putting him in the main tank tommorow... He is eating and looking good! :) Also, when is the soonest time I can add more fish? I was planning on getting some cherry barbs as soon as possible... Any advice would be great!

If it is a danio then no, that isn't a normal behavior for a fish that should be a mid to top level swimming fish.
Test your water and do a partial water change if Ur due or the parameters aren't good.
I might quarantine the listless fish for a bit if I were you.

OK so I will definetly test my water parameters and do a water change since I am in need of one anyway. OK you might think I am being too cautious, but last night I noticed yet another danio not any of the ones I am talking about is a little bloated. However, I am not entirely sure that he is as he swims really fast around the tank. Last night he was in the corner with a little bit of bloated stomach. I checked on him to see if he looks bloated and he didn't and he was out of the corner and swimming around. Would I defintely notice if this small little danio was bloated or am I just looking to closely? What should I do? He is still eating and is always out and swimming around.......?????

Any advice? I'm about to transfer the quarantined danio back in to the main tank....

Back
Top Bottom