dropsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LAK

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
if one fish has dropsy, i took him out of the tank as soon as I noticed it, should I worry that the other fish will also get it?

treating with salt and antibiotics. anything else I should do?

thanks.

It depends on the cause whether your other fish will be affected or not. The difficult thing with dropsy is its a symptom, not a disease itself. It indicates systemic organ failure, namely the kidneys (which can no longer correctly process fluid). The causes are numerous. Anything from parasites and protozoa to bacterial infections to poor water quality (or any combination there of) are just a few factors. Trying determine a singular causative factor is what makes dropsy difficult (if not impossible) to treat. Even when successfully treated, most fish will still succumb weeks or months later due to irreparable organ damage.

Can you provide some info? Type of salt/%? Type antibiotics/dosing schedule? Type of fish? Tank size? Parameters? Any other info that may help (past disease history, present symptoms, etc)?

using furan...dosed yesterday and one more time today. so far no change, fish still looks bloated and pale. it's a honey gourami... using Hawaiian salt to treat.

it was a 5 gallon tank. other 2 gouramis look healthy so far.

Parameters? Is he pineconed?

A 5g tank with 3 fish is awfully overstocked and I suspect water quality issues are the main reason behind the dropsy. This needs to be addressed promptly. I suggest some wcs on whatever your keeping him in right now to remove the salt (this will increase fluid retention and further stress failing kidneys) and furan. Switch to metronidazole and a tiny amount of Epsom salt (1tsp per 10g) once all the other stuff is removed. Metro medicated food is the best if he is still eating. If not, treat the tank.

Back
Top Bottom