Dropsy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilygupps

Aquarium Advice FINatic
He isn't acting sick and some days he looks more swollen. Today is about as bad as I have seen it. I noticed it on Saturday. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404188567.224516.jpg

Is he eating? Has he been pooping? If not feed him a blanched, de-shelled pea, this is good for constipation.

Sent from anteatergoanna's burrow

I gave him a pea three nights ago and he loved it. I saw some poop on the sand and since he is the only fish in the tank I know it's his. The next night I have him ONE tropical flake and he kept spitting it out. He hates betta pallets. Last night I fasted him. Will try the pea again tomorrow.

I noticed his water conditions weren't great. 0.5 nitrIte and 20 nitrate, didn't even bother with ammonia since we were changing right away. It's a new 10g and we didn't change the water for three days so maybe that's part of it? I took 5gal out and treated 10g worth of prime. After the water change he rested on a plant by the surface. :-/ must have stressed him out.

It's not dropsy. He does appear to be bloated and/or constipated.

Pea should help with that. You may want to limit feeding, especially proteins for a few days. Sometimes porter quality foods can also contribute to bloating and constipation.

The lethargy is most likely because of possible ammonia and nitrite levels. If the tank is new and not fully cycled, I would check ammonia and nitrites daily and do water changes as necessary.

He's beautiful though!

Back
Top Bottom