dropsy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjrom1022

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gal tank that I am treating for ick. All the fish are fine, but one guppy had it really bad. the white spots popped off about 2 days ago, but he's still been hiding behind plants and wood. he's very discolored and his side has turned slightly yellow. it also looks like the scales on top are lifted. is this dropsy? what should i do? IMG_4646.jpgIMG_4650.jpg

update: he doesn't have dropsy because he's not bloated and only his top scales are protruding. any ideas of what it can be then?

What did you treat with? Might have to research this one.

i've just been treating with aquarium salt. but i've been researching a lot and i think he has wasting disease or fish tb. i put him in a separate tank with salt and general cure. i hope it helps. im not exactly sure what to do

What was the salt level and dosing? No heat increase?

I would think either bacterial and/or internal organ failure but still thinking. Does the yellowing look like bruising (mottled colour) or a yellow tinge?

What was the salt level and dosing? No heat increase?

I would think either bacterial and/or internal organ failure but still thinking. Does the yellowing look like bruising (mottled colour) or a yellow tinge?

i put in one teaspoon of salt per gallon, and in the original tank the temp was 86. in quarantine he's at about 75. and for the yellow i'm really not sure. it was like a yellow line on the part of his body where it's white. maybe a bruise? you can see it in the picture

That salt level should be fine ime. I'd suspect external bacterial to explain the scales lifting (can occur with the temp increase as secondary to ich). Not sure on the yellow line - will see if I get time to look in books tonight.

That salt level should be fine ime. I'd suspect external bacterial to explain the scales lifting (can occur with the temp increase as secondary to ich). Not sure on the yellow line - will see if I get time to look in books tonight.

Ok. thank you so much for helping with this. i've been really worried bc i can't seem to put my finger on what the problem is. He has no spine curvature which i read is a usual symptom of tb, but he has the other symptoms like fin rot, clamped fins, and discoloration (all right after an ick infection which caused him to be stressed).

Ok. thank you so much for helping with this. i've been really worried bc i can't seem to put my finger on what the problem is. He has no spine curvature which i read is a usual symptom of tb, but he has the other symptoms like fin rot, clamped fins, and discoloration (all right after an ick infection which caused him to be stressed).

I had a look for yellow marks but couldn't find anything. The closest I could find was jaundice of various causes so struck that off. Fish TB should take longer to develop but a similar bacterial infection I'd think possible on above.

I had a look for yellow marks but couldn't find anything. The closest I could find was jaundice of various causes so struck that off. Fish TB should take longer to develop but a similar bacterial infection I'd think possible on above.

ok so if it is a bacterial infection, how should i treat it?

ok ill look into it. what are your thoughts on melafix for this situation?

Pima and mela ime are useful on a first-pass try I find. These are cheap here, plants seem ok but it needs to be well mixed and imo there is no room for over-dosing. On a serious infection or past several days, I've never had success with it.

Pima and mela ime are useful on a first-pass try I find. These are cheap here, plants seem ok but it needs to be well mixed and imo there is no room for over-dosing. On a serious infection or past several days, I've never had success with it.

oh i get it. i just got the furan 2. i guess all i can do now is see if it works

Back
Top Bottom