Dropsy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sweetnims

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to this hobby. I've had my 37 gallon tank 2 weeks. I currently have 5 gouramis, 2 African dwarf frogs, 5 smaller fish in the aquarium. This is what I have left after 4 didn't make it. This guy /girl is getting bigger by the day. Help?

This is about the amount of time it takes for the water toxicity to build after adding fish to a new aquarium.

The nitrification cycle is a key part of fish keeping. In this case it is very likely your water needs a few water changes to reduce the toxicity.

Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate continue to build up because there is not an established beneficial bacteria colony in the filter.

Do you have a test kit? Or know the current water parameters?

If you aren't sure of the water quality....

First off I would do 2 - 50% pwc's one right after the other, with temperature matched water and the correct amount of dechlorinator for treating chloramines and chlorine.

You need to get the water quality tip top.

This may not save a fish with dropsy, but water quality is usually an issue when a fish gets that. It indicates internal organ failure or issues.

And getting the water quality nearly perfect will help your other fish because the stress of bad water will be removed from them.

If you can get the water quality checked make sure to keep the information of what the numbers are.

Ideally you get a master (liquid) test kit. Online they are reasonably priced. Also the big box pet stores will price match an exact item (you have to review their rules for which stores they will match with - call or read it online usually it is their own online stores petsmart, petco, liveaquaria, chewy maybe walmart will price match, not sure).

The Aquarium Advice article in my signature link, will be a huge help is understanding the nitrification process and helping to get through the "fish-in " cycling of the tank. Which is the time it takes to grow a sufficient BB colony in your filter capable of processing the tank waste.

Do not change the filter pad, media, or wash them in plain tap water. Only rinse with treated water or pwc water.

Not sure of your feeding, but also slow up on feeding, use smaller servings and feed, wait for the fish to eat all the food before adding a bit more, the idea is to reduce wasted food, which also causes poor water quality.

There are additional interesting article links from the one below to help you too.

Keep doing the water changes until all the water parameters are in a safe zone.

Back
Top Bottom