Dropsy...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

molotov256

Aquarium Advice Regular
I started a new 55g aquarium with some nice peaceful community fish, but my 4 barbs (not tiger barbs, I think they were called 'rosy barbs' or something of that nature) aren't doing so hot in there for some reason. One of them got dropsy and died, so I took him out and didn't think much of it, since I've read that dropsy isn't usually contagious. But now, a week or 2 later, another one has it. He doesn't seem too bad in terms of bloating and all, but he seems really pale and looks like he's breathing heavy, and sometimes he seems to frantically lose all sense of balance - kinda looks like the cartoon Tazmanian Devil in a whirlwind, only it's a sick fish, so it's not so funny :? I did another partial water change today and put more aquarium salt in, and he seems to have slightly better control of his balance, but he's not swimming with the other barbs, and he still looks pretty pale.

I'm wondering if I should wait and see if he pulls through, or is it best to remove him from the tank and see if I can put an end to this dropsy crap?

Your call, what do you think?

How long has the tank been set up and is it cycled? What are your amminia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?

I suspect that the underlying cause is water quality and/or an uncycled tank. This would stress the fish, and those with weaker immune systems would be the first to succumb to disease.

I would remove the sick fish. Doing so might break the cycle of infection - but do check your water parameters. Something is stressing the fish and causing their immune system to fail.

One of them got dropsy and died, so I took him out and didn't think much of it, since I've read that dropsy isn't usually contagious.

Dropsy is a sign of a fungal or bacterial infection in your water. Therefore, if it hasn't been killed with sufficient meds, it is contagious. Like QTOFFER said, try and isolate the sick fish via a QT tank. If you don't have one, I'd start treating the whole tank if you want to save your rosy barbs.

what is dropsy i think ive just lost a red tale black shark because of this

Dropsy is a condition that occurs when a fungal or bacterial (that's up for debate, everyone thinks something different) infection infects your fish, and thus shuts down it's internal organs. When this happens, the fishes body can no longer excrete fluids and the body swells up. It will swell up so much, that the scales will stick out, looking much like a pineconing, and thus giving your 'dropsy'.

It's quite noticeable when you look at the fish, no really trickery to this disease. If you have it...I would get some anti-fungal meds as soon as possible and begin treating.

My gold danio just had dropsy and died from it but none of my other fish have gotten it. >_< he died the night after I put medicine in the tank. (I put him in a separate tank when I saw him) But I haven't had a contagious outbreak of dropsy and I have 4 other danios and a couple gouramis which can catch it too.

Back
Top Bottom