DROPSY betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattyfurg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So one of my male bettas has an extremely bloated belly. Iv never dealt with dropsy so I'm not fully sure if it is that :/
I got him around two months ago at this aquarium that poorly treats their bettas :(
When I went there today there was not one betta that didn't have an enormous belly.
He is currently in my 5 gallon breeding tank and my female is separated but shares the same water.

Pictures

Attachments

• image-12786555.jpg
    image-12786555.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 84
  • image-1387998046.jpg
    image-1387998046.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1637839993.jpg
    image-1637839993.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 83
  • image-3286450241.jpg
    image-3286450241.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 87
  • image-1324587560.jpg
    image-1324587560.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 89
Has he got any protruding scales (pineconing)? I can't tell from the pictures. If he does than it is dropsy and there's usually no coming back from it I'm sorry. There are things you can do to ease the swelling but it usually comes back.

The only clue is that he's bloated. No pineconing, could that mean it's in it's early stage? Is it still treatable then?
I don't want to loose him :( he's a very beautiful betta

It might not be dropsy. He could just be constipated. Start out by fasting him for a few days then feed a small piece of pea to see if he improves. You can try an Epsom salt bath (google how) after that if there's no improvement.
Dropsy
Pathogen/Cause: Various organisms (nonspecific), poor water quality.
Physical Signs: Bloated appearence with scales that stick out like a pine cone. Best viewed from above. Dropsy is not really a specific pathologic entity, it is to describe a general condition of fluid accumulation in the internal body cavity, which has many causes. Dropsy usually signals internal infection and multiple organ failure. It can be compared to ascites in humans in end stage kidney failure.
Behavioral Signs: Lethargy, lack of appetite, grave constitutional signs.
Potential Treatment: Unfortunately, dropsy is *usually* incurable and fatal; however, in rare cases, spontaneous recovery may occur. A strong antibiotic such as kanamycin sulfate can be tried, but because it is an internal infection, usually it does little good.
Other Notes: Take measures to improve water quality immediately. Fortunately, it is not highly contagious.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/tropicalfish_disease_identification.html#ERM

It might not be dropsy. He could just be constipated. Start out by fasting him for a few days then feed a small piece of pea to see if he improves. You can try an Epsom salt bath (google how) after that if there's no improvement.

Tropical Fish Disease Identification with pictures and cures.

It probably isn't dropsy. If you are feeding your betta a pellet food then bloating is probably the case, but this can happen if he is on a flake or pellet food. No, bloating will not kill your betta, just follow these steps and he will be fast on the road to recovery! :fish1:Your betta has a very sensitive stomach. If you dont feed him the right amount of food, then he can become bloated really easily. SO, just take some pea, not sweet though! Snow peas will work just fine. Microwave it a little so it is really soft, then mash it into a pulp. Wait until it has cooled completely. Wash your hands really well (NO SOAP, JUST SCRUB REALLY WELL WITH WATER), and put some of the mashed pea on your finger. Feed it to your betta, but only a little bit! Then fast him for 3 days, or until he has returned to normal. Then give him a little flake food (you might want to switch off of pellets for a while), and slowly work up back to the amount you usually feed him.
Hope this helps!

This is why I love this site. I searched betta disease, and found this thread. The picture posted by pattyfurg illustrates exactly the issue I'm having with my fierce and beautiful crowntail betta. No pineconing, but a worrysome swelling, and before I read this I was very upset thinking I was going to lose him :( but thanks to you guys, mumma and bettaluv, I now know what to do to help him out. Life is good again! :)

Back
Top Bottom