Dropsy contagious?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ejaramillo01

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had to euthanize one of my fish because showed severe symptoms of dropsy ( bloated white belly, red veins, and pine cone scales, not eating and lethargic). My question to all of you is:
Is dropsy a contagious illness?
Do I need to treat my whole tank with antibiotics?

I did a 50% PWC once I euthanized the poor fellow.

Thanks.

Dropsy is not a disease but a symptom of a serious issue (organ failure, namely kidneys). Unfortunately, it can be a bit difficult to figure out the exact cause. Internal bacterial infections, parasite issues, viruses and/or poor water quality are just some of the causes attributed to a dropsied fish. Red veining that you describe indicates a possible bacterial infection. I would suggest doing a daily wc for the next few days & keep a close eye on everyone for anything unusual. Keep us posted!

jlk said:
Dropsy is not a disease but a symptom of a serious issue (organ failure, namely kidneys). Unfortunately, it can be a bit difficult to figure out the exact cause. Internal bacterial infections, parasite issues, viruses and/or poor water quality are just some of the causes attributed to a dropsied fish. Red veining that you describe indicates a possible bacterial infection. I would suggest doing a daily wc for the next few days & keep a close eye on everyone for anything unusual. Keep us posted!

Thanks jlk... I will keep an eye. The tank looks good right now, parameters are perfect, fish look healthy... My Angels even lay eggs today...let's see.

Back
Top Bottom