Dropsy help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

extremenewb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I've just found out my male betta has dropsy :cry: . I'm shiverring now looking at him, let alone when I have to PhTS.

Well, I'm thinking of getting anound betta in his place. Move on I guess :( I was just wondering, would I have to bleach and clean out the tank, then re-cycle again? I also don't have bio-spira so I would have to be longer if I were to do it again :(

Update: Haven't PTS yet. At times, he can still move slowly around flapping his fins frantically, and he also still eats, tho he needs to "re-bite" (ie spit n eat again) to finish hjis Hikari pellets. But lethargic about 90% of the time. Is he beyond help, or does he have a chance?

I've attached a pic below...

PLZ HELP!!!

Attachments

• drop.jpg
    drop.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 101
Sorry about your betta :cry: Usually at this stage it's too late. If you have any antibiotics, or a small pinch of epsom salt to draw out the fluid, you could try that -- you never know.

I would bleach (sparingly!) the tank. Dropsy can be caused by many things, like bacterial or virus infection, a tumor, or organ failure. Some causes are contagious, like the bacterial infection, and some may not be -- organ failure caused by old age, for example. But since we'll never know the exact cause, I would disinfect the tank before getting a new betta.

Thanks for the sympathies guys. I couldn't even look at the glass bottle I used to carry it out, had to throw it and smash it to a 1000 pieces. Still feel :cry: abt it.

So your thinking I should disinfect it? I'm thinking use a 9-1 bleach solution (got from other posts), and put it in the tank. Scrub and rinse etc. Tho I guess I shouldn't do this with the sponge filter. And also, what about my live plants (java fern and moss?)

Back
Top Bottom