Dwarf gourami dying? What do I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tianna8999

Aquarium Advice Regular
First off I’d like to say that I’m really sad, I feel like I failed all my fish and i don’t know what else to do. I been doing research doing things I read or think are good remove the mean fish etc and I’m down to my last dwarf gourami in a 55 gallon
I’m extremely confused why is laying at the bottom of the tank
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10. It hasn’t been eating the past couple of days when it was laying I though it was dead so I picked him up with the net and he jumped out the tank.. was unconscious for a minute and I been holding him at surface for 5 minutes helping him breathe and he started breathing and moving his little arms but I just want him to be happy again. He has the whole tank to himself I don’t get why he would act like this

Are you using test strips or liquid testing kit?

Sometimes the test strips are wrong.

The fish is weak and it is possible it will pass away.

Starting a new tank can be a problem without all the correct information at the beginning.

Sometimes the fish could be ill and there might not be anything you could really do.

Often is is due to stress making an easy target where the fishes immune system isn't able to fight off something.

How long has the tank been set up?

How long has the fish been in there?

Hi, I'm new but I have had dwarf gouramis for a while, when they lay like that it could be a sign of depression, sickness, or a fungal infection. I am very sorry to hear that, I lost a gourami a few weeks ago because of a sickness. If your fish keeps doing this it might be scratching its gills, a sign of fungal infection, to get rid of the fungus change the water. I did this to my fish when they got fungus so I know it works, but only change about 25% of the water at a time.

Something to keep in mind also, is that Dwarf Gouramis in particular can commonly have a disease referred to as Dwarf Gourami Disease / Iridovirus. Even if you've done everything right this can still take them. I won't claim to be an expert, but from some past internet-ing it seems to be a result of poor conditions at breeding facilities and in-breeding of specimens weak to infections.

The symptoms you have sound quite similar to the descriptions of this disease. I'm sorry to hear your fish are doing poorly, it always hurts me when I see something in distress or dead, regardless of whether or not I spent 1$ or 40$ on it :(

Something to keep in mind also, is that Dwarf Gouramis in particular can commonly have a disease referred to as Dwarf Gourami Disease / Iridovirus. Even if you've done everything right this can still take them. I won't claim to be an expert, but from some past internet-ing it seems to be a result of poor conditions at breeding facilities and in-breeding of specimens weak to infections.

The symptoms you have sound quite similar to the descriptions of this disease. I'm sorry to hear your fish are doing poorly, it always hurts me when I see something in distress or dead, regardless of whether or not I spent 1$ or 40$ on it :(
You're absolutely right. It's the reason I gave up on them.

Back
Top Bottom