dwarf gourami sick help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats not good. Its either signs of a spreading bacterial infection or he may be developing a secondary fungal infection (they both look similar). Continue with the salt & maracyn2 & lets see how he is at the end of the course of treatment. If your up to the task, you can remove him & dab some hydrogen peroxide on the fuzzy spot 1x a day. Keep us posted!

does it need to be any special hydrogen peroxide?
how do I go about this?

The stuff you buy in the drugstore in brown bottle to disinfect cuts & scrapes- nothing special & about $1 a bottle. Set out a little bit in cup & use either q-tips or cotton balls. Remove the fish quickly & carefully & hold him either in your bare hands or with a damp towel (wet with tank water). Dab a bit on the spots (avoid eyes & gills) & return him to the tank. It should take under 10secs to do (1x a day). Good luck!

Jik thats smart, does it work on other things, or justt fish herpies
(I know its not fish herpies, but it looks bad)
I hope your gourami is doing better, keep us posted, im curious about this peroxide mess

success:)) fast and easy. lil stressed but thats cause it was hard to get him..hes breathing heavy now?:(

Jik thats smart, does it work on other things, or justt fish herpies
(I know its not fish herpies, but it looks bad)
I hope your gourami is doing better, keep us posted, im curious about this peroxide mess

Easy & simple way to disinfect wounds, sores, etc. Not everyone has access to fish meds & its a something pretty much everyone has in their med cabinet. A breeder i know actually uses peroxide baths for his new fish to remove parasites, etc but I have no experience with this & dont know what would be a safe level for dips. Peroxide has a bunch of uses aquarium-wise beyond just fish- its used as an algae-remover & plant dip too.

He will be ok. Being caught & out of the water is stressful for any fish even if its only for a few seconds. How often are you doing water changes right now?

I would increase to atleast 2x week just to make sure the water is very healthy. If you want to do them even more frequently, go right ahead. :)

How are your nitrates looking? Do atleast 50%, more if your nitrates are higher than your tap level. Keep his water as healthy as you can reasonably manage. :)

got em down to 5.0ppm. that was on wednesday they were.about 80ppm or higher before that.

No, only add salt back thats removed with a water change. For example, if you do a 50% wc, you need to add back 1/2 the original dose of salt or 5.5tbsp.

Back
Top Bottom