Dwarf Gourami with a mystery lump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monzie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Our Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami has developed an odd lump on his side, about the size of a bean, halfway between mouth and tail, not discolored, no scales sticking out. At first, we thought he was just getting fat but then I realized the lump was only on one side of his body. Up until this morning, he was acting normal, doing his usual rounds in the tank and eating well. Today, he's spending more time near the bottom of the tank, behind the log where our anti-social shrimp hides out. He did come out to eat but he just seems a bit lethargic.

Not sure what's going on but we're worried about our fishy friend. I called the LFS where we bought him in the Spring and they suggest we try feeding him garlic. Did a little Googling around and saw a post elsewhere from someone who cured a similar problem with antibiotics. Before I attempt anything, I thought I'd see what you folks thought. Any ideas?

Tried to snap some photos but the light was sketchy and my phone is temperamental. This is the best I could do...

Attachments

• Charlie Lump.jpg
    Charlie Lump.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 1,403
Looks like edema from the picture, is the fish still eating? I would recommend fasting the fish for 3-4 days with the addition of Epsom salts dosed at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons to help reduce the pressure. That type of impaction can lead to death if not addressed quickly.

He has had the lump for a couple of weeks and was eating normally until yesterday. We feed regular flake food along with a bit of spirulina flakes as an occasional "treat". Normally, he gobbles up most of what I sprinkle in and the school of rasboras cleans up whatever he lets sink. Last night, he wasn't slamming the food like usual and this morning, the rasboras were happily eating while he was hanging out in his little hidey spot. He eventually came out and had a few nibbles but not very much.

So, do I set up the QT? Or will the added stress of the move hurt him even more?? If not, how to I make sure the rasboras and shrimp get some nourishment while the gourami is fasting? Can I herd him away from the food with a net??

And is an antibiotic going to help with this situation at all?

I'm off to research "fish edema" now....

==============

Edited to add: So, edema = dropsy? Because his scales aren't sticking out at all and he's swimming normally. Is this possibly Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus? And it that going to spread to the rasboras?

Honestly, in spite of trying very hard to do everything right, our experience with this hobby has been nothing but a string of frustrations. It took forever for our tank to cycle, then our tetras developed ich and all of them died, our fancy in-line heater stopped working after three months and then the two heaters that were sent as replacements were also lemons, we've been fighting brown algae for months, requiring almost total water changes every week and removing all of the tank decorations to painstakingly sponge them all clean. And now the one fish that my kids love and gave a name has some random disease. Pretty sure if he dies, we'll rehome the fish we have left, sell our tank, and put an end to this "fun" experiment. Really, how do you guys do it? Are there any of you who just spend time enjoying your tanks, rather than constantly worrying about who is sick, whether the water quality is crappy, or your equipment is going to fail? It's just been frustrating for us nearly from Day 1.

I am so sorry to hear of all the troubles you've had. It's pretty frustrating when things keep going wrong over and over again.

It's certainly not edema, because that would show on both sides of the abdomen at the very least, if not the entire body. I'd have to look up the Iridovirus.. not familiar with that one.

As for the nuisance brown 'algae', those are really diatoms, and normally it goes away once it uses up the supply of silicates in the tank. It's quite usual for it to show up in a new tank for awhile. But if it persists, there's a simple fix. Get a Nerite snail or two and they will eat it all. They think diatoms are like candy. They'll clean it off any and all surfaces, and most other algaes as well. They keep glass clean too.

There are a couple of possibilities for the gourami's lump. It may be something like an abscess. If that is what it is, and it bursts to the outside, you'd see whitish stuff coming out of it. That would be pus and once it drains the fish, if it is otherwise healthy, should be able to heal the wound made by the drainage. But if it bursts inward, the fish will probably die, as the infection will get into the blood and cause sepsis, blood poisoning.

Antibiotics might be helpful if it's an abscess, but I would not know which one to get. Since there isn't any way to know if the organism would be gram positive or negative, you'd need a drug that treats both kinds of bacteria.

There is also a chance it's a tumour, but if so, it's come up very quickly, which wouldn't be a good sign, sadly.

Unfortunately, the truth appears to be that dwarf gouramis are rather fragile fish. They are very beautiful, and I used to keep them. I really, really like them and I wanted to breed them. But I could not keep them alive long enough to do that.

I researched them as much as I could, and most of the information that appeared to be reasonably reliable seemed to indicate that these fish tend not to do very well in the long term. It is not anything you have done wrongly, it's some sort of weakness in the fish. Many fish today are highly inbred, which can lead to any number of genetic weaknesses, which we often can't see on the outside and it might be why these fish are fragile. The lovely colour morphs they come in can only be fixed by inbreeding, which is done deliberately, and that does not help. This is done with all kinds of fish, to get new colours or long fins or some other characteristic that is new or appealing.

Some people do have some success with these fish and they're popular, so they're bred in numbers. I wish I could say I think he will get better. I am really sorry to have to say that. But where there is life, there is always hope.

Keeping the water as clean as possible is one thing you can do. Some extra water changes are never a bad idea. And in general, dwarf gourami like their tanks to be very quiet, with lots of plants in the substrate and floating, for shade. They don't like much water movement. They are generally peaceful and can get on with many fish, but are not happy with fast moving or boisterous fish species, who may stress them.

I'll go see what Iridovirus is.

Edit. Ok.. seems iridovirus, from a brief overview, may be one reason so many DG's die, but the one symptom, an enlarged spleen, is not one I've ever seen in any of the fish I had and lost. But it's been detected in over 20% of the fish from some suppliers of the fish.

It is fatal, unfortunately. There are no treatments for viral diseases other than supportive care. A few other fish have been seen with this disease.. Betta fish, which are related to the gouramis, Angel fish and Rams. If you have Angels or Rams and the DG has this disease, there's a possibility they might get it. But I hope you don't have these, they'd be terrible tank mates for a timid DG.

What other fish do you have ?

You've clearly had some rotten luck with equipment, but that's really not the norm. Wish you had had someone to advise and help you with the issues that cropped up sooner, before the frustration factor got so high.

It's sadly true that the best way to defend against illnesses, like ich or anything else, to is have a quarantine tank, where you keep any new fish for at least six weeks to make sure they are not bringing your display tank some sort of grief. So many new fish keepers either don't have the space or are not aware of how important a QT tank can be.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck.. and I really hope this fish will defy the odds and get well.

Looks like dwarf gourami disease to me. When I first set my tank up I went with dwarfs too and had the same experience. Great for a week or two and then mysterious lethargy and bloating. I gave up on them since I read once you get it in the tank it never really goes away. I don't know how true that is but it wasn't worth the struggle since I have an otherwise healthy tank.

Thanks for the help, everyone. Charlie is still swimming around the front of tank this morning, looking for food. He's actually a very friendly fish...swims right up to the glass to greet me and never seems bothered when the kids visit him. Our tank is in a quiet corner of a quiet room and I'd have to say he's been content in his surroundings. His tankmates don't seem to bug him at all. We have kept our tank only partially stocked since we lost all of our tetras. Every time we think about about buying more fish, some new problem arises and we put our plans back on the backburner. We do have a quarantine tank stashed away and we're going to set it up tonight and move Charlie in there so we can focus on getting him healthy again.

The similar situation I'd read about online is here:

My gourami has a lump...

They treated their lumpy gourami with Maracyn 2. I figure it can't hurt to try something like that, right? I mean, this is likely one of three things: a tumor, a viral infection, or a bacterial infection. The first two have no cure and he will probably die, regardless. But the third option could possibly be helped with antibiotics of some sort. I hadn't considered the gram positive/negative issue. So if anyone has any suggestions about that, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I'll be headed to Petsmart tomorrow to buy some Maracyn...

Back
Top Bottom