Dwarf Gourami With Fin Rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tomorrow is day five of the treatment. It's still brown around the tear and edges. Will the brown color disappear?

Hmm... No improvemet

While I did see some improvement during the treatment, I didn't see dramatic fin regrowth for a couple of weeks after I was done treating w/ the meds. Just give it some time.

Did you do a large pwc after the treatment was complete? That should help. You can also replace the carbon in the filter media to remove excess meds. Just make sure to stick to your pwc's and the clean water will help your DG's fins come around.

I agree, keep up the water changes. The last thing you want to happen is a relapse. My betta is taking a while to finally show signs of his fins growing back. It takes time I guess.

Ive been doing a 25% water change in the afternoon. But before that I put the meds in the tank first thing when I wake up. This is the last day of the treatment! I'll do a larger pwc and keep doing them daily. He still has brown around the fins, but it hasn't progressed, which is good!

I think he has parasites now! The poop is white, long and stringy. I read that this is internal parasites. Do you have Any idea how to get rid of them?

Geez! Poor li'l guy! :( I honestly couldn't advise any treatment, (never had to deal w/ anything like that... just Ich, Fungus, and Finrot). Hopefully someone w/ a suggestion will chime in. If nothing else, I'm sure there are plenty of threads on here that you can reference. Just do a search for "parasites".

How is your DG's fin doing? Any better?

Well, the Melafix didn't work, so now I'm just doing pwcs every day. It's still brown around the tear in the fin

Well, the Melafix didn't work, so now I'm just doing pwcs every day. It's still brown around the tear in the fin

The clean water is definitely a good idea. I'm sorry that the Melafix didn't work. :( I had luck w/ a Melafix/Pimafix treatment, but some people have experienced the same as you and the meds didn't help. Plus, fish heal at different rates, so I would keep w/ the pwc's until you start treating for parasites.

Thanks! We'll see what happens! I HATE having sick fish soooo much!! UGH!

Was the brown around the rip supposed to go away during the Melafix/primafix treatment?

Was the brown around the rip supposed to go away during the Melafix/primafix treatment?

My DG's fin didn't lose the brown and begin filling in until after the treatment. It's still not completely cleared up, but it looks much better than it did.

Fish take time to heal. There's no med out there, (that I know of anyway), that could repair Finrot over night. I would just keep an eye on it and see about treating the parasites. If the fin worsens, that's when you should seek out another treatment option. Perhaps there's a med out there that could help w/ both.

I just added a couple more tiger barbs today, and all of tue fish are doing excellent and not picking on eachother. It's like one big happy family. When they were all picking at an algae wafer I notices my dg's fin was a lot less brown, there was barely any brown at all! This morning it was brown and it just changed really fast!! I'm so happy!!!!! Thanks!

I just added a couple more tiger barbs today, and all of tue fish are doing excellent and not picking on eachother. It's like one big happy family. When they were all picking at an algae wafer I notices my dg's fin was a lot less brown, there was barely any brown at all! This morning it was brown and it just changed really fast!! I'm so happy!!!!! Thanks!

That's great to hear that your DG is getting better! :D Congrats on your Tiger Barbs and that everyone is doing well together!

Thank you so much for all your help! Ive never dealt with a sick fish before and you gave me some great advice!! :)What kind of fish do you have?

Thank you so much for all your help! Ive never dealt with a sick fish before and you gave me some great advice!! :)What kind of fish do you have?

You're very welcome, George! How is he doing w/ the parasite treatment, (that is if you started a treatment)?

In my 55g I have; 1-Dwarf Gourami, (of course), 1-Red Tail Shark, 1-Common Pleco, 2-Clown Loaches, 1-Swordtail, 3-Mollies, 6-Naon Tetras, and 2-African Dwarf Frogs. In my 10g I have; 1-Betta, and 2-Bamboo Shrimp. I have plenty of pics in profile album and I'm adding more all the time. Feel free to check them out. :fish2:

Well, I don't think the fin rot war is over. I came home today and BOOM! I saw this. Before I left, the DG's tail didn't look like this. Its split and looks like tail rot has started to take over the top and bottom corners. What do you think? This just SUCKS! AHHHH I'm gonna rip my hair out.
2yos7f8.jpg

The picture makes my tank look really dirty. :(

I think I'm gonna have to quarantine him. I found an old five gallon kit with a filter, I think I might put him in there and treat with maracyn (i think its called) I think the tank is too small though. Im not sure if he'll survive in there.

Oh geez... that looks worse than before! Poor li'l guy! :(

I've honestly never quarantined a fish for treatment before, so sadly I can't comment on whether or not it would be a good idea. Hopefully someone will chime in and give you some advice. Honestly, I don't see why you couldn't treat the whole tank w/ Maracyn. But then again, I've never used that medication before, so I would hang tight and see if anyone has any suggestions.

Maracyn will kill my plants, and maybe my beneficial bacteria. I don't wanna take a chance with that. Thanks!

He isnt eating the medicated parasite food. I mashed it up along with so me brine shrimp and froze it in a small cube thing, hopefully he'll eat that.

Back
Top Bottom