Dwarf Gourami with Lesion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plumwd

Aquarium Advice Activist
My powder blue male now has a really nasty lesion on his left gill and the fin is clamped on that side. Is this iridovirus or something else I can treat?

Little history, last week I lost my flame dwarf male gourami with no visible signs of illness (outwardly). He died very quickly in the span of a few hours.

Water parameters are perfect, the tank is an 80 gallon planted aquarium with the Marineland C530 canister filter.

Ammona: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ppm
PH: 7.4
Temp 76

I've had these guys about 3 weeks now and up until last week everyone was fine.

I had him in a community tank with 7 total gouramis, plus 10 tiger barbs and 5 cory cats. He is now in my hospital tank and separated from the rest.

ALL of my gouramis, save this one and his mate have died in the last few days. She does not appear ill, but I moved her just in case. None of the other fish in the tank with them have any kind of illness or lesions.

Editing to add that the female is turning black :(

Attachments

• gourami_lesion.jpg
    gourami_lesion.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 188
  • female_gourami_black2.jpg
    female_gourami_black2.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 118
  • male_gourami_lesion.jpg
    male_gourami_lesion.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 111
  • female_gourami_black.jpg
    female_gourami_black.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 680
Sorry to hear about your fish friends :(

Whats their behaviour like? Have things changed since they got ill?

They alternate between being active and lethargic or resting on the bottom of the tank. Currently the male is swimming around and ate a little bit, but the female is laying in some plants on the bottom :(

Your setup is pretty new.right? Pretty sure i saw your planted tank build thread a little while ago (i remember cause youre really pretty btw ;) )...back to the issue..

Do you test your water before and after water changes?

You could potentially have some ammonia spikes still....

And the patchy discolourations to me...look like a bacterial infection or potentially a parasitr infestation... do some googlin for bacterial infections, if it doesnt sound accurate, perhaps raise your tank temp if you believe its more likely parasites

Yes my 80 gallon is pretty new. I just moved the fish there 2 weeks ago after I finished a fishless cycle. Prior to that, I had them in my 29 Gallon.

I've still been monitoring daily and have never seen an ammonia spike, although that doesn't mean I couldn't have missed one.

I raised the tank temp to 80 and added some Stress Coat and Triple Sulfa. The male looks like he's doing better, he actually ate. The female is going to die very soon though.

What I find really strange is that none of the other fish species who were in the same tank with them are sick. My tiger barbs are all as active as ever. I told my boys tonight that they remind me of the Dauntless from the movie "Divergent". My cories are doing all right too, I'm stumped.

I wish I knew what it was so I could figure out how to treat it.

I'm assuming that if this guy dies, I should probably tear down this tank and disinfect it right?

Triple sulfa is for gram negative bacteria right?

Pretty sure youre supposed to treat them at lower temps in that situation

How are they doing?

The gouramis must have been stressed more than the other guys from the move, dont tear things down till you know whats wrong

Hows the tank coming btw? I just added live plants yesterday for the first time....curious to see how it goes

The female died this morning :(

The male looks like he's doing much better though! He's using his fin that he had clamped! He's been eating and swimming around, and then periodically resting. Here's to hoping that he recovers. The sore on his side still looks rather gross, but hoping it heals.

:(

Awe, sounds like you did all you could.

Hows the male/other fish today?

Before all this happened, what kinda gouramis did you have?

I love my 3 spots. They're gorgeous when they display/establish dominance

He is doing so much better! Still some ways to go, but he's looking really great. The wounds are starting to heal.

male_gourami_healing2.jpg

male_gourami_healing.jpg

Back
Top Bottom