Dwarf Puffers and Ich Meds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savga

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just wanted to let all of you dwarf puffer owners know about my experience with ich and dwarf puffers. There doesn't seem to be much info out on their tolerance for ich meds. A few weeks ago, I introduced ich into my dwarf puffer tank on some new otocinclus. I tried the high temp treatment at first (88F), but after 4 days it seemed to get worse. I then lowered the temp and tried Mardel Coppersafe. After several more days, some of the fish still got worse. I was determined to save the ones I still could so I did a partial water change and started using the recommended dosage of Kordon Rid-Ich+. Only then did things start to improve. I lost two oto's and one puffer, but saved the other five puffers. I am not sure about the oto's tolerances of copper or Rid-Ich+ since they both died, but the puffers tolerated both meds just fine. I just wish I had started with Rid-Ich+ sooner. All the fish that died were severely infected. It was too late for them. I hope this info helps save some fish in the future. PS: Use a quarantine tank!

Good to know. Another reason why I am glad I went the heat route instead of the meds route since I have one oto (he's lonely but hangs out with the SAE most of the time).

Back
Top Bottom