Dying cory cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nothing looks wrong with them but is that décor safe? Or did you buy some of that at a toy store... Just wondering... Because if your décor isnt fish safe than that may be what is killing the corys

No I bought it at the LFS.

Could it just be a bad batch of Cory's? I have not had any other deaths of my other fish.

Update:

Upon your suggestions I thoroughly checked the ornaments and there was some paint flaking off of a few. Do not buy Top Fin decorations!!!! They have only been in the aquarium since February.

Update:

Upon your suggestions I thoroughly checked the ornaments and there was some paint flaking off of a few. Do not buy Top Fin decorations!!!! They have only been in the aquarium since February.

Not good! But good you discovered it. I'd let top fin know about it. I imagine you did a big pwc after removing them- have you been using carbon to remove the toxins also? Personally I'd change the carbon fortnightly just to be sure its doing its job.
How are the fish going?

Not good! But good you discovered it. I'd let top fin know about it. I imagine you did a big pwc after removing them- have you been using carbon to remove the toxins also? Personally I'd change the carbon fortnightly just to be sure its doing its job.
How are the fish going?

Yes I did a PWC and I'll start using carbon in case of toxins. The other fish are fine, the only losses were cory cats, I surmise because they are bottom feeders and that's where the ornaments are.

I have a fully cycled 20 gallon I started in February with
6x glowlight tetra
6x zebra danio
1x dwarf gourami
4x Cory cat
2x kuhli loach

Since I added fish, 3 Cory cats have died even though my water parameters are good, is it coincidental or are cory cats weak? The one I found tonight was picked apart, I assume after it died. No other fish have any fin nips or noticeable problems.

Probably under feeding. You can buy bottom feeder pellets at most fish stores.

I am now down to 2 Corys, no other deaths in my tank - here's a picture does anything look wrong? They show no signs of distress I just periodically find one dead.

image-2357920136.jpg

I added 4 on 5/1/13
2 dead on 5/23
Added 2 on 6/29
1 dead on 7/24 and. 1 dead 8/15

Try feeding on a small dish or bowl. The gravel looks too big, their food may be falling down between pieces before they can get it ??

You can use a clear wide plastic tube, put one end above the dish and it will aim the food for you.

Are you adding any salt or meds ? Cories are sensitive to both.

Id swap to sand or smaller smooth gravel in the future. Mine love digging in sand !! Live plants are good also.

Did you get rid of the painted decor ?

Also, some Cories are Wild Caught and may have internal parasites. A QT tank for new fish is always a good idea.

You might post this on Planet Catfish to get more ideas.

Ok thanks I will try that even though the cories are the first ones eating the pellets, I know they are eating.
I have removed the painted deco and may switch out to sand.
I don't know how to do live plants ???

Also I don't use salt or meds, one day they look like the picture then the next day dead with no signs of stress beforehand!

The other strange thing is I never see the kuhli loaches eating and none of them have died yet?

Back
Top Bottom