Dying fish, please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jldurfe

Aquarium Advice Regular
2 days ago one of my male guppys died. I figured it was because I had a couple mollys in the tank that had been nipping his fins. Most of the center of his tail fin was missing. I move the mollys as soon as i knew they were nipping the guppys fins. After i moved the mollys all of my guppys seemed fine. I have another blue male guppy with a small chunk taken out of his tail but appears to be doing fine. This morning my beta isn't looking so hot. Appears that the top of his tail fin is frayed. And a female molly is close to dead but he tail doesn't seem chewed. But looks a little thinner thin normal... please help! What could be going on? I had ick a couple weeks ago and has been clear for about 3 weeks now

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130323_121734.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130323_121734.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 62
  • ForumRunner_20130323_121744.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130323_121744.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 63
  • ForumRunner_20130323_121752.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130323_121752.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 65
  • ForumRunner_20130323_121759.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130323_121759.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 67
  • ForumRunner_20130323_121807.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130323_121807.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 62
I would do an immediate partial water change. 25% with conditioned temp matched water.

Test your water.

What size tank ?
What stock ? ( exactly what kind and how many fish )
How long has tank been up ?
What temperature ?

Sounds like a water issue. Fin Rot perhaps caused by Ammonia.

Ok checked your profile
10g new tank Fully stocked.

Too many fish too fast !!

A. Return the Mollies. They need at least a 20g.
B. keep up water changes till Ammonia is Zero
C. Read up on Fish In Cycling.

Consider adding some live plants if you haven't already.

It is a 10 gallon tank. Has been setup for a few months. I have 1 male beta. And I have several guppies. Probably 7 females and 4 males. And 2 zebra danios. This morning when I fed them those were the only 2 fish that were not happy. When I just went back to check on them about an hour ago 1 other female that is very pregnant is also not very happy sitting at the top of the tank. She will go swimming around but not much. I checked the ammonia levels and I'm at 0.25 I did a 50 percent water change last weekend as well vacuumed out the gravel.

I would do an immediate partial water change. 25% with conditioned temp matched water.

Test your water.

What size tank ?
What temperature ?

Ok checked your profile

The mollys went to my mother's 55 gallon tank. Not at my house. I don't have live plants because I have snails. Would live plants still be ok with them? I thought I heard that snails will eat them. Should I do all the water changes today until the ammonia gets to zero? Or over a few days?

Test your water.

What size tank ?
What temperature ?

Ok checked your profile

Its not a new tank for sure... I've had it set up for several months and i had slowly added fish. I got the mollys because the person at the fish store said they would do fine in a 10 gal tank. But they picked on my guppies too much so I gave them to my mom who has a 55 gal community tank. I did a 25% water change and added ammonia clear to the tank. Even though my ammonia level wasn't that high.

Its not a new tank for sure... I've had it set up for several months and i had slowly added fish. I got the mollys because the person at the fish store said they would do fine in a 10 gal tank. But they picked on my guppies too much so I gave them to my mom who has a 55 gal community tank. I did a 25% water change and added ammonia clear to the tank. Even though my ammonia level wasn't that high.

Ok. Sounds good. You are over stocked for a 10g.IMHO
Not in size of fish, but Guppies and all Livebearers tend towards a higher bioload.

That's a lot of fish for your size of tank.

The Mollies probably spiked the Ammonia. And vacuuming too much can cause a mini cycle.

I do PWC and rinse my filter pad in used tank water. I vacuum part of the tank ( if I vacuum).

Live Plants are fine with most snails. Pond Snails only eat dead plants usually. Your Zebra Danios may get nippy. They do best in large groups in at least 20g Longs as they are super active, often annoying or harassing calmer fish esp in small tanks.

Do you have a tank for the Guppy Fry ? You can't add more Guppies, no room.

I would keep up your water changes and if you keep showing Ammonia consider rehoming some fish.

I've kept an overstocked 10g. But it was heavily planted and if I missed a water change I could tell. I ended up losing some fish when I got sick.

I do have a fry tank and as the fry get big enough I give them away. The danios are my original fish from when cycling my tank... They sure are harty fish and have outlived most of my fish. I just put 2 small plants in today and will see how that goes. I will continue to check water parameters and keep with the water changes

Its important to vacuum the gravel and occasionly change the filter (never at the same time) but BB (beneficial Bacteria) live in the gravel as well as all over the glass and on the filter medium. Its good to have a lot of BB, but not too much. Its not just rotting waste that live on the gravel, so you don't have to get every last bit of it, just do like here and there or half the tank at a time. You can use Prime as the only water conditioner, gravel and live plants and adding some stress zyme which contains BB. I was able to cycle a ten gallon with a lot of gravel and live plants in about 3 weeks with fish in and no filter, just a heater and airstone. I did partial water changes about 25-35% every 2-3 days and used the prime and stress zyme. Once you get the basic feel for it its really not that hard. (watch feeding too, small frequent meals is the best way to go.) It only takes a tiny tiny pinch, or if you have guppies and F.Goldies and koi like me they will come to the surface and take food from your hand after a month or two.

Back
Top Bottom