Dying gourami with ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gloomy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Tank stuff: 29 gal temp:82f pH: 8.0 Ammonia: .25 Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 20 The tank has been set up for about a month...used biospira to help cycle it...my first tank cracked and I replaced it and had to put the survivors back in.
Fish:
2 neon dwarf gouramis
3 juli corys
4 albino corys
4 black skirt tetras

My boyfriend got me a red dwarf gourami a week ago while I was at work...it turns out it has ick...and infested everyone. I have been treating the tank with a malachite green product "Ich away" and I also have been bringing the temp up slowly. This morning the red gourami has been laying on its side and drooping around the tank whats wrong now?? I removed him into a bucket with tank water and a bubbler because the tetras were picking his fins and making his bad day worse. What can I do to help him?? And why is the ammonia going up suddenly?? it was 0 two days ago when I checked it....I am going to do a water change now...

sounds like you have some cycling going on if you had to change out all of your water. Did you keep the same filter intacked? Add some aquarium salt in the bucket with the sick fish. I have used the bucket method before too. You will need to transfer the fish to a new bucket about every 3 days

Its the same filter from the original tank...the same substrate also...the gourami looks a little better now that he is not being picked on so much. I will add aquarium salt...would it be better to use the betta ich treatment on him since he is in a smaller container? Its just a diluted form of the melafix I think...What is with the tetras...they are downright vicious! They have nipped one of the smaller one's fins into pieces and they pick on everyone. Once the tank is cured and stabilized should I get a couple more??? Or would that make it worse??

The salt will kill the ick and is alot less stressful to the fish. Some of the meds that are used can damage your fish internally. The salt won't harm them. Tetras are very aggeressive by nature. They are very territorial.

Salt can irritate your cories. They are not a salt loving fish. I would do a large water change. The meds can affect your bacterial cycle. I would use the heat method. Turn the heat up 1-2 degrees every 6-12 hours until the temp is 87. Keep the temp at 87 for 2 weeks AFTER the last spot of ich is gone. Also either lower the water level a bit or add an airstone for extra aeration.

Hi zagz. I believe that the gourmi is in a bucket so the loaches will be fine You are right she still needs to treat the main tank to get rid of the ick. You need to raise the salt level in your bucket to 0.3% which is done by adding one Tablespoon of salt to each gallon.

The gourami in the bucket died last night...I feel bad..In the main tank...I did a 50% water change yesterday and now the temp is up to 84...didn't add salt to the tank either....

I am sorry about your loss. I hate when that happens. When i had ick in my saltwater tank it took a month to get rid of the ick.

I feel so horrible that he didn't make it...everyone else is doing fine though

Back
Top Bottom