Dying Silver Dollars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sundeep

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I am new to this hobby,
I have a major problem, I have a 10Gallon tank with 6 neon tetras and a betta in it.

Everything was good till i brought home 3 tiny silver dollards (1.5")

Within one hour, they were dead, taking my betta with it.. pet store replaced them and out of the new ones, two are dead and one is on the way out,
What ever is in my tank has also killed my betta, yet my neon tetras seem healthy.

I noticed a milky web around the silver dollars when i was removing them from the tank.

My remaining silver dollar is very slow and doped out, neons are lightning fast and i can never net them.

Betta had whitish ends on his fins.

Can someone please help, this sad occourance has discouraged me continuing this hobby

Thanks

Sundeep

Firstly sundeep WELCOME to Aquarium Advice.

I would defiantly say that your 10 gal tank is far to over crowded. What are your parameters of the tank ie.. Ammonia / nitrite / nitrate. All the the above fish would be totally stressed out in a tank of that size, and if the water parameters are not right that would stress them even more.
The other thing is that the silver dollars that you brought are not ideal for a 10 gal tank as they grow to 6-8in. If the guy/girl in your lfs knows you have a 10gal tank he/she want's shooting for selling them to you.

The neons and the fighter are fine in a 10 gal but not the silver dollars. I would say take a deep breath and a step backwards and start again, it would be a shame for you to give up so quickly over such a minor problem.

Please post back with your water parameters, if you haven't got the test kits needed take a sample of water to you lfs and ask them to check it for you. And while your there take the other dollar back.
We are here to help, don't give up at the first hurdle.

*agrees with Terry*

Definitely get those water parameters; that could be the cause right there. There is also a chance the silver dollars came from the lfs ill. I strongly suggest investing in a QT tank; this will give you an opportunity to observe new fish before adding them for a couple of weeks to be sure they are healthy, and if they aren't, you haven't put the health of your other fish at risk. Plus, its easier to treat in a QT rather then mess up the parameters in the main tank.

And yeah, silver dollars are not appropriate for a 10g tank; they get BIG.

Is why its great to join a community like this; you can brainstorm, ask questions and get info before making a purchase. Keep asking questions and we'll keep helping :)

Thanks Terry and Allivymar...

I did take the a water sample to the lfs and they tested it, ammonia levels didnt even register, pH levelswere a little low, so i bought a pH kit.

the remaining silver dollar seems better, after 6 in the tank, one survives,

I do realise thta they get big, they are in this tank temporarily, ... untill they need a bigger tank .. A way of convincing my wife that we need bigger tank ;) get fish that need it.. hehehe...

Could it be algae?
The water is clear, but everything in it is covered with slimy stuff. even the dead fish that i have taken out.

I have been doing 20% water changes daily since the dead fish to clear out what ever is going on in there, may be thats why the last dollar survived.

Just strange how the neons are sill going strong, i'd think that the silver dollars are hardier then neons.. hmmm

poor Elvis (betta).. RIP. my first fish...

Welcome :)

Heh, I think we all have experiences that are a$$ backwards to the norm. Prior to actually understanding fish tanks, the nitrogen cycle and fish, I cycled my 8g hex tank with 2 angelfish *slaps hand* Fortunately they survived, although I lost one when the other killed it (2 angels in an 8g?? Duh!!).

Thumbs up on the frequent water changes; thats probably whats keeping the rest of em healthy. There is nothing like good clean treated water to help fish fight off disease. I'm guessing the silver dollars came into your tank with a subclinical infection, and the stress of the move was enough to make it full blown. Keep an eye on your other guys just in case. I doubt its algae; only time it could possibly be dangerous if its completely engulfs the tank and reduces levels of oxygen.

Btw, did the lfs test for nitrites nitrates as well? You only mention ammonia.

Funny thing is,

if i net the silver dollar and keep it near the surface of the water for 5-10 minutes , it brings it back to full....

This would indicate oxygen levels in tank not adequate..

its got a good enough filter on it with an undergravel component..

dont know.. the fishys could have beena bad batch...
neons still cruising nicely.. .

i gues only way i cna make sur eis get something from a different store .

Back
Top Bottom