Dying tetras, please help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rebeccabug

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Originally posted yesterday 1/2/14:
I have had an established planted freshwater 29 gallon aquarium for appoximately 3 years. I have had two cories and three neon tetras for approximately two years. I got three more neons and an albino pleco about three months ago. I gave away the five platies we had about a month ago. Two weeks ago I bought five glowlight tetras. One of the glowlights died three days after purchase, which I didn't think was too abnormal. We were away for three days; when we returned yesterday one of the older neons (one that we had had for two years) was dead against the filter. I immediately did a water check and ammonia is registering 0, all other levels (nitrates, nitrites, ph, etc) are within the safe range, with water at 76 degrees. A second (one of the 2+ year olds) died last night, and I checked the water again, again water levels were safe, and did a 25% water change. All of the remaining tetras (both breeds) appeared to be shoaling well together and all appeared to eat well. This morning one of the newer neons (purchased three months ago) was dead. It does not appear that any of the fish have any signs of ich or other visible diseases, no signs of breathing/gill issues. The cories and pleco are active and the remaining tetras are still shoaling. I'm concerned about losing three neons in the last three days. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Update 1/3/14:
I checked the tank this morning and I still had 3 Neons and 4 Glowlights. I just checked again and I found another dead neon (my last that was over 2+ years old) and a dead glowlight. I have quarantined each of the remaining five tetras in their own bag, as I don't have a separate tank I can use. I again checked the water. It is at:
0ppm ammonia
20ppm nitrate
0ppm nitrite
180ppm alkalinity
7.8 ph
76 degrees

I checked the two dead tetras and there is no sign of trauma, sores, wounds, etc. I just don't know what to do next. Please help with any recommendations?

Attachments

• aquarium.jpg
    aquarium.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Neon 1.jpg
    Neon 1.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Neon 2.jpg
    Neon 2.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 84
  • glowlight 1.jpg
    glowlight 1.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 89
I'm sorry if the pictures are difficult to see, the fish are pretty active.

Attachments

• glowlight 2.jpg
    glowlight 2.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 71
  • glowlight 3.jpg
    glowlight 3.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Cories.jpg
    Cories.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Pleco.jpg
    Pleco.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 75
I hate those mystery deaths. Just had one of my own. Following to see what the more experienced members have to say. Just to be clear, you see no signs of illness like discoloration, right?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No pale or discoloration. They brightened up pretty quickly after turning on the tank light this morning. The remaining were all accounted for. The two that died this afternoon must have died pretty close to when I found them as they still had their color, and hadn't been picked at yet by the other fish.

I'm sorry to read this. I think you do have neon tetra disease, even if the fish appear fairly normal in color. I am going thru the same type of thing. I would remove the remaining tetras (any species) from the tank and quarantine them all, treating with antibiotics. Read my post entitled "Heartbroken" to see what I've been going thru. If it isn't neon tetra disease, there is something else out there that is killing fish… sorry.

I find it unlikely that it is NTD. Though it could be anything. I'm sorry for your losses, but this is exactly why new fish should go into QT.

HN1, what time period do you recommend for quarantine? I always quarantine for two full weeks, but it was a few days later that the rasboras started dying in my main tank (exhibiting the same fading pattern on their backs as neon tetra disease).

I recommend a minimum of a month, although 6 weeks is even better. I've had disease show up after the 4 week mark, even. It's uncommon, but can happen occasionally.

Thanks, severum mama. Once I get my own tank situation under control (it may mean a total tear down--which would be heartbreaking as it is beautifully planted), I will have to start over with your advice.

I just picked up some Glolight, cardinal, neon, and rummy nose, and all but one of those dang glowlights/glolines, whatever have died. Rest are doing fantastic. So probably not NTD, may just be a bad bunch coming into the country right now (of the glo's)

Neon tetras dont have a very long life span so to have had them for 2 years that is pretty good going it could b something as easy as old age for the neons, as for the new tetras thats a bit of a mystery

Sent from my LG-E460f using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have a white growth like spot on bottom lip of lamp-eye tetras any idea, thanks

I decided to treat for ich and added aquarium salt. I haven't had any further casualties in 3 days (knock on wood), but I'm down to one neon (from 6) and 3 glowlights (from 5). My cory and pleco seem unaffected. I'm hoping it wasn't NTD. Lesson learned, I'll have to invest in a small quarantine tank for future new fish. Thank you for the recommendations and advice.

Back
Top Bottom