Dying tiger barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blueskytechnolo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was cycling a 29 gallon aquarium with 10 small tiger barbs and 5 Danios. Yesterday evening I checked the water with an api master kit. My amonia, nitrate, nitrite were all 0. The ph had dropped from 7 (using api ph 7.0)to 6 within a couple of days. I added 1 scoop of it to a glass of water that I got from the aquarium. I also added a little less than half a cap of prime. I woke up this morning and found 2 of my barbs dead. I removed them and checked the water again. Still 0 across all 3 and the ph was at 7. Over the period of an hour or so, barbs continued to die. I moved everything back to my cycled tank. Throughout the day I have lost 7 barbs. I lost 6 in the new tank and one in the cycled tank this evening. The Danios seem to be fine and swimming normally. The remaining 3 barbs look bad. I don't think they will make it until the morning. I am fairly new at this. Can someone shed a little light on this issue for me?

I did a pwc 2 days earlier. The water is at 76 degrees. I have a whisper 10-30 charcoal filter. I feed them tetra tropical flakes and bloodworms 2 times a week. I recently added some java moss and 2 anubias.

Cycling your tank with fish in it is always a bad idea, puts them through a lot of unnecessary stress. This may account for your loss. You also mention that you feed bloodworms twice a week, I recently lost some Tiger Barbs due to poor quality bloodworms that had had either been off when frozen or defrosted and refrozen. Haven't use frozen fishfood since. Keeping a diary is useful and can help pinpoint when things go wrong. I hope your remaining Barbs make it.

They are still kicking. I use the freeze dried blood worms. I cleaned out the 29 gallon tank and set it back up. I'm going to run the full cycle before stocking it again. I just added ammonia to it a few minutes ago.

Back
Top Bottom