EBJD - Should I throw in the towel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anachrotech

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had him since 2009. When purchased he was approximately 1 1/2". He grew to about 7" and has stayed at that length. We've, well mostly him, have had an ongoing battle with HITH. Last year, when he wasn't eating anything, though trying and spitting it out, I treated the tank with metronidazole and after 3 weeks, he seemed better, not great, but better. His food intake for the last couple years has been minimal with some being spit out. He takes to sitting at the bottom, facing the corner, nearly all the time. I have been extremely diligent with vacuuming and water changes of 50 - 60 %, once or twice a week.

Parameters: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates 20
36 g corner bow (smallish, I know, my mistake) He is the only occupant.
Fluval 305

Over the last couple months, his eating again decreased, and it seems the HITH is back worse than before. To top it off, he is losing his pectoral fins. It doesn't seem like the standard fin rot, as I've dealt with that in the early days (35+ years ago). They turned very translucent and then gone. No other fins are affected. I'm at a loss as to what to do. Another go with meds? He clearly is not happy. What would you do? :(

Are there pits in its head? If not, it could be another internal problem, like nematodes. Have you been feeding him feeder fish? Personally I think this is a bad idea because the bigger fish could easily get worms (nematodes) or protozoa from the sickly feeder fish. I would probably throw in the towel if you've been battling it for a long time. Ive done it with my guppies before, I know its no fun.

EBJD are basically a brightly colored, crappy-genetics version of the normal JD. They are considerably weaker, in most cases, than the standard JD. So if he is far gone already, it may be worth it to euthanize him as he will probably have health problems for the remainder of his life.

Im no expert in diseases, but i wanted to point that out even though it sounds a bit harsh...

However, it could be something curable, so try something else but i personally wouldn't expect him to live a regular JD's lifespan.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

5 years on a ebjd is the longest I've ever heard so you did something right??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are there pits in its head? If not, it could be another internal problem, like nematodes. Have you been feeding him feeder fish? Personally I think this is a bad idea because the bigger fish could easily get worms (nematodes) or protozoa from the sickly feeder fish. I would probably throw in the towel if you've been battling it for a long time. Ive done it with my guppies before, I know its no fun.

It is HITH as he does have pits. I have never fed him feeders.

I'd like to think so. Thank you for that.

Actually, i apparently missed that part... I would say 6 years is a good lifespan for an EBJD and i didnt even think it was a thing for them to live that long.

Personally, i would feed him a big last meal, if he is eating, and the then use whatever chemical people use (i cant think of the name) at night to end his life peacefully...

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

Clove oil is what its called... A bunch if it and its over...

He lived a long life, if you do decide to end his pain then at least you should be aware of that. I say congrats to you for having him live so long.

Yes clove oil makes them anesthetized and too much makes them go to sleep for good. There is a sticky about euthanizing fish. It's pretty informative.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

An update-
I decided, after much agonizing, to euthanize Mr. Dempsey. After looking him over well, I came to the conclusion that his quality of life wasn't good. He most likely also had hexamita as well as HITH, that for him would never really go away, as well as fin rot. Even with being very proactive on tank cleaning and making sure nitrates never exceeded 30. Though he was ill and sitting in the corner, he seem to possess a unique character and intelligence, not unlike my dogs.
I don't want to ever do this again. I almost came to the decision of just taking down the tank - didn't want to think about purchasing new fish.

After a couple days, I rinsed the filter material in water treated with Prime, and got rid of the gravel. Replace the gravel with new and got new faux plants. I went looking at fish, but my heart wasn't in it. Just picked a couple of angels, a six white tip tetras, and a four corys. meh

Sorry for the long post.

I've been there. It's not pleasant and makes you feel like garbage. Not the word I want to use but forum rules and all. You did the best you could. Many people would have given up on him but you stuck it out and that has to count for something.
My condolences for your loss.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry about the fish. I know what it's like. It's hard losing a companion, especially if they've been with you for so long. You couldn't do anything against it. Now you have new fish to concentrate on and make their lives the best anyone could give them. I think you did the right thing, the fish was suffering and you wouldn't have been able to bring him back to full health anyway. Besides, you did something not many other people have done before. You raised a really, really genetically weak fish from a small one to adult size. Now that's what counts.

EBJD are basically a brightly colored, crappy-genetics version of the normal JD. They are considerably weaker, in most cases, than the standard JD. So if he is far gone already, it may be worth it to euthanize him as he will probably have health problems for the remainder of his life.

Im no expert in diseases, but i wanted to point that out even though it sounds a bit harsh...

However, it could be something curable, so try something else but i personally wouldn't expect him to live a regular JD's lifespan.

I 2nd that about the poor genetics. You can only manipulate a living creature so much until you start getting adverse effects. Molly's and guppys and betta are the worst

Back
Top Bottom