EEK! Two sick fish! HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yodlem

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank's 82 degrees, and I turned down the temperature a little bit (to 79 76ish)
I do not have a kit for measuring the parameters SO DON'T ASK ME
SEE MYINFO FOR TANK SIZE, DECORATIONS, ETC. IF NOT MENTIONED HERE

Okay two problems.

My angelfish used to be very active and would always swim up to the tank whenever I was near expecting for some food, and when I did toss some flakes in there, He would eat as fast as he could.

But now he's just sort of staying in a corner of a tank and moping and only eats sometimes. and if he does eat, it is not as much.
He also sproradically spazzes or freaks out really badly for no apparent reason, even when I'm not even looking at the tank. Everytime he has these 'panic attacks' he scratches his slime layer during the process, which is not helping his immunity system fight off whatever he has. I'm afraid he has the hole in the head disease, or atleast about too. I'm not sure if this is related, but it seems as if the skin of his mouth is 'chapped' and there is white flesh around it. (see below on pictures.)

My orange platy on the other hand seems to be losing alot of weight and his fins are also damaged (as you can see in the two last pictures below)

He also just mopes and does not eat much. (Or perhaps not at all) compare my avatar to the pictures below if that helps any.

I have been putting some CureIck medicine in there just in case he may have a parasite, but I do not think he has that, so I think I'm going to stop putting in the medicine.
Before my angelfish was sick, I fed it some frozen brine shrimp, but I think the shrimp may have been too old because when I put the block of frozen shrimp into a douple of mLs of water, the mixture was very cloudy. I also feed my fish alot of the 'cloudy' shrimp on that day, and decided to not feed them for the rest of the day to compensate.
My other fish are fine and active

Angelfish Pictures
img6244oa9.jpg

There's some white stuff around his mouth, but it isn't too visible here.

img6255aq3.jpg

Note the funky marking on it's head.

Platy Pictures
img6262ig0.jpg

img6264ii6.jpg

When was your last water change? It may be a result of your parameters. You do need to get a test kit to keep track of your parameters. If there is whitish stuff on the fish, it might be a fungus or columnaris. Most of these conditions are affected by your water parameters. You can take a sample of the water to the lfs and they will test it for you.

How big is your angelfish? Your angel will outgrow a 10 gal.

I know he'll outgrow it, but i really can't do anything about that...

no there's no whitish stuff on the fish

My last water change was I think around valentines day, I was planning to do it last weekend, but i didn't have time

I also know that even If i do find out that the parameters need to be fixed, again there's not much I can do about that...I have a VERY limited budget I can spend on the fish

The platy likely has intestinal parasites or a bacterial infection. Medicated food is your best bet. Jungle labs makes medicated pellets, and aquarium products makes a gel food, but some picky eaters will ignore it unless mixed with something else.

Does anyone think the platy may have tuberculosis?

I dont know what he has but are his (the platys) fins clamped ? i once had a molly that died, it had clamped fins and actually had spread it to her fry who all died within a few days from it. Theyre bodies were like a pin needle. i forgot what its called but its def called something...

TB is not that common. The symptoms can also be from internal infection and just plain poor water quality.

no they aren't

though he's getting worse and he now has this white stuff around his gonopodium...
I put him in a seperate plastic small container tank about 5''x7'' big.
I then put the 'tank' in such a way that it's in the aquarium, but not floating away.

I also did a gravel vaccuum/cleaned the tank, etc.

My dad put in about 500 mg or less of tetracyclin from our medicine cabinet.
was that a good idea?

Back
Top Bottom