Eggbound Tetras Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish Heads

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

My female rummy and black tetras are bloated. I have had them in the tank for at least for a year feeding various commercial dry foods along with bloodworms once in a while. I do have a tendency to overfeed so that my yo-yo botia doesn't snack on the shrimp.

The males are fine.

I am assuming that they are eggbound or just fat.
Any other illnesses that would make them bloat? They have been gradually getting more bloated over the last several months. It is not dropsy or they would have been dead by now. Any observations or suggestions? Anyone else have this situation?

This is in my planted 55 gallon tank wehere I am carrying about 20 inches of fish, 10 shrimp and many small snails- heavy bio load. ph of 7.6, GH of 8 degrees, KH at 5. Eheim canister filter at 250 gph. This is a bit high but it is stable. Water changes weekly of 10-15 gallons.

I have separated them into a hospital tank where I am putting them on a diet with more peas.

Have you noticed any excited behavior between the tetras? My guess, actually, is that they are just fat. Try fasting them for 2-3 days and see if it goes away. My black tetras always look fat. I was concerned at first, but just assume that they are hogs and eat too much.

If you are worried about the loaches and shrimps, feed some bottom feeding pellets or food after you turn the lights out. That way the other fish are snoozing and the loaches are coming out on the hunt for cuisine.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom