Elephant nose, probs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glovesred

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Elephant nose, red nose

My elephant nose, has got a very red swollen nose! anyone have any ideas??

Moved to the Unhealthy Fish Forum.

If you answer the questions in the sticky at the top of the page we'll be able to better help you.

Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:53 pm Post Subject: Before posting about unhealthy fish, read this!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answer these Qs to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
Elephant nose. Symptoms are: red, swollen nose.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Temp is at 25 degrees c, the rest is unknown i had a nitrate test at the shop thou and it was fine.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
40 litres, has been set up for 3months.
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Juwel filter system.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
2 spotted newts (2inches each), siamese shark(1inch), pictus catfish(2inch), pakistani loach(1inch),
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
Jus done a water change, i do this every 2 wks and remove 20% of the water.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
had the elephant nose for 3wks now, i put the bag in the water for 20 mins, then added a small amount of water to the bag and left for another 20, and then released him.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
Just a new fake plant.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Frozen blood worm, and flakes.

Thankyou.

glovesred said:
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Temp is at 25 degrees c, the rest is unknown i had a nitrate test at the shop thou and it was fine.
what is "fine"? the LFS definition of "fine" and mine might be different

if i was you i would go out and pick up some test kits because we are going to need those numbers

that is alot of fish for a tank that size ~9 gallons :? the elephant fish by itself should have a tank 3-4 times that size...

I am looking at some test kits now online, as it is the easter holiday and the shops wont be open till tuesday here. If you can recommend any kits i would be most grateful. Thanks.

glovesred said:
I am looking at some test kits now online, as it is the easter holiday and the shops wont be open till tuesday here. If you can recommend any kits i would be most grateful. Thanks.
personaly i use the AP Freshwater Masterkit it comes with PH, High PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrite tests

HTH

Back
Top Bottom