Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Emaciated RummyNose Tetra?

I have a small school of 7 RummyNose tetras in a 30 gallon planted tank. Six of them are fat and healthy, one doesn't look so. He's skinny and looks like he hasn't eaten in days and tends to stay near the bottom of the tank away from the other tetras. Every once in a while he will join them, but not for very long. I haven't observed him closely enough yet to discern if he is eating and what his poop looks like; I'll be moving him in to a separate tank shortly after posting this. See the picture below, I'll try to get some

Temp 76.1
Weekly water changes.

Current tank mates:
3 oto cats
2 f. julii cats
1 rubberlip pleco
5 cpd

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7443.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	298911

Old 05-10-2017, 12:13 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Did he improve?

Old 05-10-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had the same problem ive already lost 2 rummies and i have another currently in the same situation did u manage to see if he was eating?
Old 05-11-2017, 07:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Have you checked for parasites i checked my rummy today and it looks like a parasite thought i would throw that out there
Old 05-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

It wasn't eating anything and died shortly after isolating it. I do strongly suspect that it was internal parasites, and I feel really bad I wasn't able to help the little guy sooner. I've been watching the other fish and none of them look like they're suffering from the same thing so I think it might have just been the one.
My research led me to look at prazipro and jungles parasite food as good options for getting rid of a parasite. If you are able to, quarantine the fish because if treatment doesn't work then the parasite will go looking for a new host if the original fish dies.
You could also treat the whole tank for parasites of you suspect more than one fish is sick.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Unfortually the fish has just died im hoping the treatment ive put in will save the rest but its seems to be a bit of a long road for the little guys!... one onf my mollies gave birth the other day and transferred them into a different tank with slightly older mollies im hoping that none of them are infected but im going to wait and see!
Old 05-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Good luck.

Won't the older mollies eat the fry?
Old 05-17-2017, 11:28 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nah their still small themselves ones about a month or 2 and the others are about a week younger
Old 05-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just bought 10 Rummies and lost the skinniest overnight. Others all eating and acting fine. I'm hoping all is well, but will treat with PraziPro if needed going forward

Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate, nose, rummynose, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Betta | API Tests »