Emaciated RummyNose Tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AliSab

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a small school of 7 RummyNose tetras in a 30 gallon planted tank. Six of them are fat and healthy, one doesn't look so. He's skinny and looks like he hasn't eaten in days and tends to stay near the bottom of the tank away from the other tetras. Every once in a while he will join them, but not for very long. I haven't observed him closely enough yet to discern if he is eating and what his poop looks like; I'll be moving him in to a separate tank shortly after posting this. See the picture below, I'll try to get some

Temp 76.1
Weekly water changes.

Current tank mates:
3 oto cats
2 f. julii cats
1 rubberlip pleco
5 cpd

IMG_7443.jpg

I had the same problem ive already lost 2 rummies and i have another currently in the same situation did u manage to see if he was eating?

Have you checked for parasites i checked my rummy today and it looks like a parasite thought i would throw that out there

It wasn't eating anything and died shortly after isolating it. I do strongly suspect that it was internal parasites, and I feel really bad I wasn't able to help the little guy sooner. I've been watching the other fish and none of them look like they're suffering from the same thing so I think it might have just been the one.
My research led me to look at prazipro and jungles parasite food as good options for getting rid of a parasite. If you are able to, quarantine the fish because if treatment doesn't work then the parasite will go looking for a new host if the original fish dies.
You could also treat the whole tank for parasites of you suspect more than one fish is sick.

Unfortually the fish has just died im hoping the treatment ive put in will save the rest but its seems to be a bit of a long road for the little guys!... one onf my mollies gave birth the other day and transferred them into a different tank with slightly older mollies im hoping that none of them are infected but im going to wait and see!

Good luck.

Won't the older mollies eat the fry?

I just bought 10 Rummies and lost the skinniest overnight. Others all eating and acting fine. I'm hoping all is well, but will treat with PraziPro if needed going forward

Back
Top Bottom