Emergancy help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starbear

Aquarium Advice Regular
My fish pond had a box of fertilizer for garden plants dump into it, its the knock off of miraclegrow. It fell off the table next to the pond because im stupid for having the garden table and the pond next to each other(recently did it for easier planting) im going to have to turn the betta tank into a hospital tank for the three. What do I do gills look like they might be red, and they or swimming in treated water right now to hopefuly sabalize them before adding to the betta tank(no betta) its only a three gal but I have nothing else and cant afford a whole tank set up bigger this week. Should i get Melafix? Some one plz help I dont want them to die

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a empy 30 g tank but no stand for it....Idk what to do

Moved the fish into the three gallon after having them in a pitcher of the 3 g water so it wasnt so much chance of contaminates getting into the 3g, no real way to acclimate them as their water was poison, treated with a small amount of melafix and pulled all the plants out into a bucket should I do a water change tonight? In the process of checking water quality, and took the filter out as per directions on melafix. My plants are in a 5gal bucket with a double air line, and has flourish for them, but had to use new treated tap water

I also unpluged the heater I had in the 3 gal should I put it in the bucket with plants? Will the plants be ok for a day or two without being attached to any thing? I dont have any substrate to put in as alot of it was in the pond....I have wisteria, and two kinds of plants im not sure what they are, a grass that gets 20in tall when its heathy and a tall long leafed plant with green stem and top of leave and red on the bottom of leaves. Am I doing thigs right? I know I messed up bad but im trying my hardest to save them

The plants will be fine for a day or two in a bucket. However, multiple goldfish in a 3G will not be.

As your pond was in the cycling process, a bunch of large wcs (as much as possible) and replacing filter media should not have a dramatic impact. Run new carbon in addition to the wcs with hefty doses of a good water conditioner and replace carbon after 24hrs (toss the used carbon). You may have to do a few cycles of large wcs and running new carbon. The issue with MiracleGro/similar is their ingredients. Ammonium, potash and urea are common forms of nitrogen used as well as 'minerals' such as copper, zinc and magnesium. Boric acid is another common ingredient.

It will be work to get things back in order but the sooner, the better. Constant wcs will be needed on the 3g. Running the 30g on the floor (no stand needed) may be a better option for these guys short term. Good luck!

So I dont have to scrap my whole pond set up?

I would not scrap it. It's going to be a ton of work to get the chemicals out (depending on what exactly this stuff has in it) but I think with massive wcs, new carbon cycles and a good conditioner that removes metals, you can get things back on track. I am guessing this product was water soluble and not sitting on the bottom of the pond in granular form?

Hopefully, with lots of healthy water, your guys can recover and go back to a healthy home very soon!

Yeah it all desolved, but looks like blue poweraid

Ok im going to water test my 30g today, can I have it on my porch? Its screened in and every thing so no worry about predators, would that be better then my ac house? My todler is into everything in here so not sure if the floor in here is a good idea. Should I treat the melafix for the 7 recomended days? And im going to be doing water changes in the 3gal was thinkn 2x a day of 1/3 the tank, will that be adiquit?

Ok im going to water test my 30g today, can I have it on my porch? Its screened in and every thing so no worry about predators, would that be better then my ac house? My todler is into everything in here so not sure if the floor in here is a good idea. Should I treat the melafix for the 7 recomended days? And im going to be doing water changes in the 3gal was thinkn 2x a day of 1/3 the tank, will that be adiquit?

The 30g should be fine on the porch. They will be better off in an uncycled 30g versus an uncycled 3g. Test your water and do wcs as needed to keep toxin levels absolutely as low as possible. Getting a tank cycled is not the point here but keeping them in pristine water is as they have had a large exposure to toxic chemicals. I personally would not add another chemical such as melafix here- they already have had toxic chemical exposure and further chemical exposure may do more harm than good. An extra dose of a slime coat aid such as Kordons Fish Protector or Stress Coat would be the only thing I would consider at this point. And lots of healthy water! Keep us posted!

I just got the 30g set up on the porch and have the filter for it running, how long should I wait to put them in? Is in the morning ok?

Also my husband emptied the pond, so if I scrub down the filter and replaced the media can I put it on the 30g as well since gf are really dirty? And when they look better start the pond back up?

You should be fine to move them in the morning. Just double check the parameters and temp and acclimate them as needed. Your fine to run the pond filter on the 30g as long as its not too powerful. The sooner you can get the pond back in order, the better. :)

Put them in this morning and everyone is still kicking, but the largest has a problem with his tail...here are pics

Its where the white parts are in the middle of his tail fins, they all had ick when we bought them, so I have the meds or I can put a heater into it but because of their recent trama im unsured of next steps, will test water shortly, but the tanks only been up lastnight

Attachments

• 1402712211596.jpg
    1402712211596.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 49
I unfortunately can not see the pic clearly from my phone (and my computer is down). Do the white areas appear fuzzy or stringy (like hairs)? Or are they specs like sand? Are the fins degrading or fraying? Any redness or streaking in the fins or tail or body? Just trying to get an idea of what is going on!

Idk if its normal or not but it looks like sand but also has one line of red thru his tail from his body, like one vein showing to each patch of white

Back
Top Bottom