Emergency! help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Determinated

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Josh (goldfish)

Just move into his new 20 gallon tank, and ammonia is present, At least i think that is why josh is acting so sickly.

Right now he is laying in his cave gasping...

I went to the store and bought ammonia clear fizzy tabs, did a 50% water change prior to the addition...

Is there anything else i can do to save josh?

I havent fed him in like 3 days because i didnt want to add more ammonia..could this also be causing it? did i starve him?:facepalm:

Have you tested the water? Does he seem better after wc? You haven't starved him but hard to know what's going on without parameters

I don't believe you have starved him but I believe that goldfish are known to constantly eat because they have no stomachs. As a result they need to be fed more frequently.

Did you add anything to dechlorinate the water for the water change?

I have tested the water, neutral ph with 1ppm ammonia, .5 after the change, put in the ammonia fizzer tabs, and there is 0 nitrite/nitrate.

He hadnt moved from in the cave so i picked it up and he is still alive and moved, but now he is just laying in a different spot gasping :/
Is there anything i can do at this point?

Does your tap water have ammonia in it? If you are unsure, please check it. If its zero, I would do another water change to drop your ammonia lower. Make sure you temperature match and properly condition all of the new water. Has he been worse since you added him to this tank or just today?

i did a 75% water change again, when should i do another?

And No my tap has no detectable amount of ammonia, i have well water and have tested it.

He was acting slow, i came here asked why was told a 1 gallon was too small for a goldie...switched him to a 20 gal, he was doing good until he slowed a little yesterday, was slower this morning, and is now like this :(

Thanks, I was one of the people trying to help on your other post. I have to suspect ammonia here but I wanted to just make you didn't use any chemicals to clean the tank before you added him. Invest in a bottle of prime or Amquel plus- either will help to see your little guy through a cycle along with water changes. I am not familiar with the fizz tabs and don't know how/if effective they are.

Sorry that I can't help with your problem much. I'd just suggest more water changes. But a word of advice: you might want to consider upgrading and getting more goldfish. Goldfish are social fish and don't like to be alone. All you'd need is a 30 (maybe a 29) gallon tank so you can have two. He'd be much happier.

No i just cleaned the tank with hot water...i really dont think this little guy i going to make it :(

I know im really sad about this, i was so determined to keep him alive, i really hope he makes it.

But if he dont, im gonna change out the water and then let the tank cycle properly and then go about getting some new fish.

He is swimming around a little bit now,then goes back the bottom, fingers crossed!!!!

That's a promising sign that he's swimming a bit. I hope you kept the old filter in there too. I would do another water change and test ammonia again.

yes i did keep the old filter in there, can the water change wait till tomorrow? its barely been an hour since the last one..is this too much? of is it immediately nessecary?

What's your ammonia level if its .25 or under you should be safe til tomorrow.

Tested again, my ammonia is at .25, he is just kinda drunkenly swimming he seems to wanna go to the top, and gets there but cant stay there long :/

Ok that should be good til tomorrow and then try and keep it .25 and under until you gain your bacteria. Water changes will be your life til then. Good luck

Thanks for your help!!!

Its so stressful to own a fish! lol

I cant wait until this tank is stabilized!!

In addition to the water changes, I'd suggest immediately adding one of the bottled bacteria additives. Check the expiration date and get the newest one you can to ensure live culture. Increasing surface area in the tank will help. Porous rocks, live plants, even a foam block will add places for the bacteria to settle. Once you get the ammonia under control, this will help keep it there by increasing your bio filter capacity.
Live plants can also remove wastes from the water for their own growth. Dont stop feeding him because goldfish do bad stomachs, but they are very tiny and inefficient. They need to eat frequently. Just feed small amounts and clean up any leftovers after five minutes.
Lastly, I don't know what kind of goldfish this is, but it will almost certainly need a bigger tank ASAP. Not a criticism here, you did good in getting him out of the smaller one. But I think (dont quote me on this) the smallest fancy variety has a max size of 8-10 inches long, and any of the single tail types will easily exceed a foot.
Aside from physical space, a larger tank will provide more stability and greater surface area for bacterial growth. Just breathe deep and keep up the good work!

Josh was more active today, did another 50% change, will do another one this after noon :)

This fish is gonna live!!! he has no choice! lol

Back
Top Bottom