Emergency help needed my discus's aren't moving! :(:(:(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AddictedtoFishNoW

Aquarium Advice Activist
Helpp! Ahh my discus's!

Guys I need help :( I'm really down, I just purchased 2 discus juveniles, for $100.00, they now got to my home in the new tank, they keep swimming sideways and upside and seem to float.... now they are on there sides and not moving!!! I just got these guys.....all my tests for ammonia,ph,nitrite,nitrate are all normal range...they were swimming fine at the tank I got them in and now they are acting like this!
I dont know what to do im freakin out and all I have is salt and stress coat and prime and stability and clarity, I have just added salt to try and help them and cranked up the heat more,, I hear it could be a bladder problem but I just saw them at the store and they looked finee and now this?!

help =[ thanks

Helpp! Ahh my discus's!
Guys I need help I'm really down, I just purchased 2 discus juveniles, for $100.00, they now got to my home in the new tank, they keep swimming sideways and upside and seem to float.... now they are on there sides and not moving!!! I just got these guys.....all my tests for ammonia,ph,nitrite,nitrate are all normal range...they were swimming fine at the tank I got them in and now they are acting like this!
I dont know what to do im freakin out and all I have is salt and stress coat and prime and stability and clarity, I have just added salt to try and help them and cranked up the heat more,, I hear it could be a bladder problem but I just saw them at the store and they looked finee and now this?!

help =[ thanks

I would remove the salt, immediately. Discus juvies >4" are more sensitive... They usually require half RO water to maintain health.
What are all of your params? Amm, trite, trate, and pH? do you know your gH or kH by chance?

How did you acclimate them? I assume this is a different tank than the one you just had stabilize today after it was cycling with the other fish?

* I just posted this on your duplicate thread in the general discussion forum. You can ignore the question here and we'll stick to the one thread.

Last edited:
im so darn bummed, I sold my Xbox 360 with 20 games and a controller for these two fishes and they are not moving one bit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ahhh

Are you using soft/acidic water? if not was the petstore using soft water if so they may not be doing wel with your water paramiters.

I just bought them in a matter of hours, and it was a local pet store privately owned, and the receipt is just numbers no policy or anything but I asked at the very end of checkout what the return policy was and it was two days with receipt...im so depressed now jeez guys I need some expert advice

do u think i got scammed? will they accept this return first thing in the morning? they have a two day return policy,, i'm so upset i don't know what to think

at the store or in your tank? are you sure it was cycled fully? what are your ammonia nitrate nitrite levels?

if they have a 2day policy then you will be fine, if they say no just threaten them that you will report them to the better business berow and they will think twice. asumming you havent had them over 2 days. and no it wasnt a scam they are very sensitive fish.

I posted this on your other thread on the topic...but how did you acclimate them? And I assume this is a different tank than the once that just finished cycling with fish earlier today?

Yea its a different tank. Ive had it on a fishless seeded cycle and all my results were tested and confirmed that my tank cycled and I triple check my results over and over and now this. Ah man. Centreville aquariums I'm not foinf there anymore I bought fake plants for my other tank and I thought the prices were normAL but they r way overpriced and the only place here in northern Va.that sells discus

AddictedtoFishNoW said:
Yea its a different tank. Ive had it on a fishless seeded cycle and all my results were tested and confirmed that my tank cycled and I triple check my results over and over and now this. Ah man. Centreville aquariums I'm not foinf there anymore I bought fake plants for my other tank and I thought the prices were normAL but they r way overpriced and the only place here in northern Va.that sells discus

Man, if I knew you had another tank cycling we could have saved a ton of work by donating the media to the tank with fish. That was a battle which could have easily been won.

How did you acclimate them?

BTW...don't use the Stability, don't use the Clarity, don't use the aquarium salt and don't jack up the temperature. All of that is unnecessary, with a couple of them being potentially dangerous.

Crappp I added salt around there body and brougt temp up to 86 and I even did a fast water change so I could bring the water level down so they could rise but that didn't even work and now they r just on there sides they move maybe a millimeter and then fall but they eyes r red sorry for typo I'm doing this as fast as I can on touch screen phone

And I used caps full of prime and one or two black pieces of carbon I tried to act fast hopefully they survive and I will have to think hard about discuses

AddictedtoFishNoW said:
Crappp I added salt around there body and brougt temp up to 86 and I even did a fast water change so I could bring the water level down so they could rise but that didn't even work and now they r just on there sides they move maybe a millimeter and then fall but they eyes r red sorry for typo I'm doing this as fast as I can on touch screen phone

You need to slow down. If you do things too quickly without thinking them through it will make the situation worse. Fish need a stable environment. A sudden temperature swing and salinity change isn't stable. Let's figure out the issue before we throw the kitchen sink at it.

How...did...you...acclimate...them...???

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom