Emergency Measures For Aggressive Male Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rach88

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all need a bit of advice. I currently have 4 platys (2 females 1 male & 1 I'm not 100% sure of) in a 48 litre tank. I'm currently treating them for ich and my male has been constantly harassing one of my females and has taken bites out of her fins. I was watching them tonight and the male literally stalks the female nips/bites her then swims off only to do the same again and again only seconds/minutes after. The conditions of her fins has become rather bad in my opinion so decided to separate him, however it's nearly midnight here so can't get to the store to buy a tank divider, so I've used a large fish net and attached it to the top of the tank and put him in. He seems fine about it but was wondering if this is going to be ok for the night till I can get a tank divider in the morning? Any input or other suggestions would be appreciated!

Instead of doing that, you could just separate him out into a tupperware for the night or something similar. That would be safer since he might get out of the net if he tries hard enough.
That tank is a bit small for a tank divider, so IMO you should consider re-homing a fish rather than dividing the tank. You could try trading him for a female perhaps.

Would he be ok in a Tupperware box? I don't have an air stone or heater to put in with him.
The net is covered by a thin piece of plastic and tank has a lid, I don't think he could get out but guess I could be wrong. And I was thinking of trading/rehoming him but thought as he has ich I wouldn't be able to do that? At least until he's free of it. Thanks for the advice if he'll be ok without an air stone or heater for the night I'll transfer him to a large Tupperware box

Do you have an old yogurt or ice cream tub? Or even a larger bottle from some soda? You can poke holes in it and secure it to the top edge of the tank. I would be worried he'd get caught up in the net during the night.

Yep, a tupperware box is fine. Yes, he will be without an air stone or heater for the night as long as the water doesn't get too cold. Room temp is ok for overnight though, and platies aren't too picky about their temperature requirements. Think about the bags you get fish in when you get them from the pet store. The fish get shipped in similar bags and they do fine in them for a limited time while they are in transit, just don't leave him in there for too long. :)
You are correct that you should wait until after the ich is gone to rehome him. In the meantime, you can try re-arranging the things in the tank while he is out of it and then he might chill out when you put him back in. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. Its worth a try though.

I originally thought of doing that mumma but I don't have an empty bottle or tub I could use :/ it's frustrating, I could just let him back loose into the tank but I'm really worried about my female too and can't even put one of them in my other tank with my danios because of the ich :(

Brilliant thank you :) i'll put him in a tub then. I wasn't 100% sure on the net but it was the only thing to hand at the time and wasn't sure if he'd be ok in a tub. I'll try rearranging some ornaments in the morning and let him back in the tank. Any advice for what I could do if that doesn't help his aggression to my female? Like would he be ok in a large bucket with an air stone and Heater until the ich clears?

Yes, he would be in a large bucket with a heater and airstone until the ich is gone. If you do that, you will likely have to do daily water changes to keep the water clean.

Ok thank you so much! :) I always keep extra water on hand for top-ups and water changes so that won't be a problem if I have to put him in a bucket. Thanks for the advice :)

Back
Top Bottom