Emergency! Sick goldfish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saul

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After a partial water change in my 65gl, my goldfish began clamping their fins.

The temperature of the tank was normal, as well as the PH, Amonia, and Nitrate levels.

It was suggested that I do a 75% water change, as well as placing the fish in a salt bath.. etc, etc.

I did so, and the fish are still not active.
One turned upside down overnight.

I am at a loss at what to do.

How long has this group been together? And you’re saying all was well until you did a water change? Any chance you forgot to dechlorinate the water?

I’d do a big water change, making certain it’s properly conditioned and close in temp to what they’re used to

I keep goldfish in a 125 & never saw anything like that. Hope things improve

Thank you for the reply.
I have had the fish for two years, raised together.

I had initially did a normal 30% water change, and that is when the first fish began clamping his fins.
After that, it was suggested to do a 75%.
The water is treated and dechlorinated.

Two of the fish had been rather still after that change, I assume due to stress.
However, they are now swimming normally.

The first fish is still clamping his fins, without movement.
The second is still sideways, without movement.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If the fish were fine before the water change, and developed the problem shortly after the water change, then they were poisoned by something in the new water.

Water companies sometimes add extra chlorine/ chloramine to the pipes if they do work on the system, or if there is a damaged pipe or even if there is hot weather. They don't normally tell you this and if you add this heavily chlorinated water to an aquarium, you kill the fish.

You should contact your water supply company and find out if they add chlorine or chloramine to the drinking water. Make sure you treat new tap water to remove chlorine/ chloramine before adding it to an aquarium.

Make sure you have buckets and hoses that are used specifically for the fish, and make sure nobody uses these for other things, especially cleaning products.

Make sure you don't have any soap, detergent, hand sanitiser, cream, grease, oil or anything else on your skin before you work in the tank. Make sure nobody is painting, smoking or using any aerosol sprays or doing anything that releases fumes into the room with the aquarium.

---------------------

Generally the best treatment for poisoning is another water change but make sure you dechlorinate the new water and aerate it for at least 30 minutes before adding it to the tank.

Add some carbon to the filter to help remove chemicals from the water.

Increase aeration to maximise the oxygen level in the water.

I am aware of that.

The water has been tested, treated, and dechlorinated.
I have appropriately done a 30% and a 75% water change.

Before the 30% and 75% water change, when was your last water change? Sometimes if it has been a long time, ammonia and other stuff can build up under the substrate and is released when you disturb it

You’re welcome, Saul. This really sucks & makes very little sense to me, but guess it has to be the water, however you did properly treat it. I’d think if the water company drastically changed the water supply, you could smell the chlorine & even so, it would be neutralized. I wish I could help. Maybe Andy can chime in. He’s a real expert,

Might some soap or other detergent have got into the water while you was doing your water change? Hand sanitiser is much more commonly on peoples hands than it used to be.

No, I do not believe so.
I had nothing on my hands, and used the cleaning materials that I always do.

I appreciate the help.
I am hoping for the best.

If you have any advice or know of anyone that may be able to help, that would be very appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not recall.
I have tested the water, and Amonia is 0.

There are goldfish groups on Facebook. I belong to a few but don’t look in much.
Also, a random google of the issue

I have been Googling for two days, and I have found nothing helpful at all.

Yeah, I just googled a little too on your issue & didn’t see mich other than change the water. I do ~60% weekly in my 125 G goldfish tank. I have ten.

Some people were saying the clamping following a water change usually goes away within 48 hours. idk. I never saw any. I do make a point to keep the incoming water within 5 degrees F of the old.

With nothing really to go on, the suggested water changes and getting some carbon into your filter to help clean up the water quality is the best thing you can do.

The likely cause is an issue with the water or something got into the water while you was doing your water change. All you can really do about that is get the water as pristine as possible and hope they pull through.

I believe that the temperature is 73% currently. It is always 70%-75%.
It did drop temporarily over the night, and that is when the second fish fell sideways.

The other has been clamping his fins for over two days.

I have done water changes.
The water has been tested and is in perfect condition.

I have a carbon filter as well.

Try a goldfish FB group. Easy to set up FB account. I did so exclusively for fish info & local groups selling or giving away fish & equipment at low costs. Most groups will admit you instantly. Others require a short wait for approval. Begin with groups that have the most daily posts.

I would probably do yet another big water change.

Your water testing is only useful for detecting what the test is for. And none of the things the tests are for are going to cause the overnight issues you are seeing. There could be any number of contaminants in the water that your testing simply wont pick up.

Changing out the water may or may not help, but its all you can do as there is no clue as to what might be happening.

I have done water changes, I have stated that.

I have just done another 30% like two hours ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom