Emergency situation: Gourami weird situation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lemuroz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
TANK

What is the water volume of the tank?: 20 gallon
How long has the tank been running?: a bit more than a month
Does it have a filter?: yes
Does it have a heater?: yes
What is the water temperature?: 78F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.): 1 dwarf orange crayfish, 3 pom pom crabs, 3 glass catfish, 1 opaline gourami, 1 small swordtail, 1 bamboo shrimp, 4 lampeye killifish
Filter - Tetra whisper IQ 20
Addition of CO2, controlled on a daily basis
Planted tank

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?: daily when nitrite cycle got stalled, now planning every two weeks
How much of the water do you change?: 25%
What do you use to treat your water?: stresscoat+ (API), meds: coppersafe, ich-x (when had ich infestation)
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?: vacuum

*Parameters
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?: yes, but cycle got stalled. now it's cycled again
What do you use to test the water?: api test kit (nitrites, ammonia, ph, nitrates), water thermometer
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”:

Ammonia: almost 0
Nitrite: almost 0
Nitrate: almost 0 (tank is planted, so I assume that's where my nitrates might be disappearing)
pH: 7.2

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?: once per day-two days
How much do you feed your fish?: a size of a dime, and few pellets for inverts
What brand of food do you feed your fish?: tetra flakes, hikari pellets/micro pellets
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?: no

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?: few years
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?: about a week ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?: change in behavior, black spots on head and spreaded to fins
Have you started any treatment for the illness?: no
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?: no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?: likes to swim under the plants and eat between the plants more, "yawns" from time to time, sometimes gasps air from the surface

Emergency situation in detail.
After the ich infestation in a tank (lost 5 fish) has been treated with fritz coppersafe and daily water changes in the main tank I've noticed tiny holes on gourami's head. Ich didn't affect him, but 5 other fishies died, one of them recovered from the fin rot (I think - part of it's tail disappeared but re-growing). Pleco died in quarantine as didn't recover in a main tank. I've noticed gourami having first a tiny black spot different from regular pigmentation, and now the size and number of the spots increased. He's still eating and swimming but behavior seems to have changing. I am worried about losing another fish that outlived the nitrite spikes.
Before this - I think ich started from me putting a new lava rock into the aquarium (I checked it with the vinegar, but maybe it had something else on it that killed bacterias or smth.)
All other fish are fine so far
I haven't added into the tank anything for a few weeks, but recently found a tiny snail - moved it out. Don't see any other snails in the tank, last addition was pom pom crabs.
I am cycling my quarantine tank, it's currently in the high nitrites phase - so can't put anything there, and I have bunch of plants in quarantine there now.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 60
Look like hole In the head disease. It's usually caused by poor water quality. I've not had to deal with it so I don't know how to cure it.
That's a lot of fish that get pretty big for a 20 gallon tank. You should change your water changes to 50% a week.

Keeping the water as perfect as possible will help the fish have less stress and better able to heal.

If there begin being degradation of the fins, looking tattered or fuzz or white film or oozing on the holes would need appropriate medicated treatment.

Back
Top Bottom