Euthanize Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bhunsucker

Aquarium Advice Freak
If you have a fish that is struggling to make it and it appears that the fish is not going to make it and you have attempted everthing that you know how to do. What is the correct way to euthanize the fish.

Thanks.

I have used the freezer method (it was a tough decision, but I had to make it). I put the fish in a shallow dish of tank water and put it in the freezer. It just takes a few minutes.
There is also the clove oil method. I have not tried this method.

I have used the clove oil method. It worked very well. Blaze died within five minutes without any struggling. Her breathing just slowed down gradually and then stopped (then I put her in the freezer). This was a really tough decision, but Blaze was suffering and I couldn't put her through any more.

I got my clove oil from a health food store (as an essential oil). It can also be purchased cheaply on eBay (but then you have to wait).
Clove oil is used to anaesthetize fish and is fatal to fish at doses greater than ¼ ml per litre of water. Clove oil is used in beer brewing and can be purchased through home-brewing outlets. It is also an aromatherapy oil, so try specialty outlets where oils are sold. Keep in mind that clove oil is classified as hazardous and can be irritating to the skin and eyes, and can be harmful if swallowed.

Since fish are cold-blooded, the brain can continue to function for a long time even after the heart and lungs have ceased functioning. Therefore it is possible for fish to recover from deep anaesthesia even if they are apparently dead because they are not breathing and have no heart beat. It can be very difficult to determine if a fish is dead, therefore, once the fish is deeply anaesthetized by leaving it in the solution for a couple of hours, it is recommended to freeze the fish, decapitate it or administer a sharp blow to the head to ensure it does not recover from anaesthesia.
Dr Rebecca Bragg BVSc MACVS
Click here for more information on Fish Euthanasia.

I disposed of the body by taking it to our local Humane Society and giving them a small donation for disposal. (It is illegal to bury pets in our city)

Note: In the past clove oil has been used as a topical local anesthetic in humans (for teething, toothaches, etc.).

i freeze water until it starts to turn to ice, then i crack through the ice on the top, and place the poor guy in there. It's only a matter of seconds before they go into hypothermia and die.

some of the old medicines are available at the pharmacy if you live in the south.. It seems like you could look there in NC they might have it.. I can still find caster oil and cod liver oil here..

I use a little bit of Vodka in tank water. They get drunk, pass out, and die. It doesn't appear to be too stressful. I've also used the freezer trick when I didn't have vodka available.

I have used the clove oil method. It worked very well. Blaze died within five minutes without any struggling. Her breathing just slowed down gradually and then stopped (then I put her in the freezer).

This is the most humane method. Keep in mind that the clove oil doesn't actually kill them, it puts them to sleep. After they slow down and look dead it's important to put them in the freezer to kill them.

i freeze water until it starts to turn to ice, then i crack through the ice on the top, and place the poor guy in there. It's only a matter of seconds before they go into hypothermia and die.

I use a little bit of Vodka in tank water. They get drunk, pass out, and die. It doesn't appear to be too stressful.

My experience with these methods is quite the opposite. They thrashed around for what seemed like many minutes struggling to breathe until they died (In actuality it was more like 30-45 seconds, but when it's my pets I'm dealing with any suffering is too much).

Here's how *I* do it and they don't "seem" to be in any pain based on his movements or lack there of.

Get a small bowl and put some tank water in it. Place several drops of Clove oil (available at your local drug store) in and mix well. Place fish in the bowl, it should go to sleep with 30 secs. to 1 minute. After asleep place in freezer until frozen solid.

Tom

RogerMcAllen said:
If you are up to it, I'd go with a quick decapitation by sharp knife.
thats probably the most painfulless suggestion so far.
I know i would hate to die by being frozen!
or if you dont want to chop your fish in two you could bask it against something- instant death with body a bit damaged- i know id rather have a bit of a damaged body than be frozen to death over three mins. the oil method could really hurt! you cant ask the fish can you? no fish is alive after decapitation dead instantly. or if you bash it against something. I know these ways sound harsh but hey definatley dont hurt for long- like 100th of a seccond!

and have you thought that it dosent thrash because its verry cold? you loose energy quickly when your cold!

decapitation, or even a swift blow to the head that crushes the brain and spinal cord - quickest and painless
clove oil - slower, but should be equally painless
freezing - pretty much a last resort... but still better than pulling the fish out and letting it suffocate in open air

I had to do it once, I put him in a bag so as not to make a mess stomped him and flushed him, gave him a salute as he went down to Davey Jones. sorry I had to do it but I think it was the best way. Large fish would be harder though.

Back
Top Bottom