Euthanizing an Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Professor

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well My neighbor wants out of this hobby..
His oscar is about maybe 8-12" long and stuck inside of a 30 Gallon tank and He doesn't want the tank anymore... So he ask me to kill it this weekend.
I was thinking of a Freeze shock treatment as the most humane thing to do..

But I just don't know what to do....

clove oil a little bit will knock it out, alot should kill it why dont you find the poor thing another home?

See if an LFS will take it. Dont kill the poor thing unless you have no choice. I wish I lived nearby.

I havn't found a mom & pop store that are willing to take a fish in.. There used to be a place that I took unwanted fish to but they change their policy lately...

So I mean if anybody in the orlando florida area is willing to take this 8-12" white oscar, or know of a place that will take fish, let me know...

Do you know of a local aquarium society? I would contact them asap as they would most likely find someone to take him. I would also try some of the larger fish stores as they might take him, sometimes they have large tanks and will take them.

Hey I didn't think about that. I just ran a search in google and found The Greater Orlando Aquarium Society. So I'll give them a call tomorrow...
Hopefully They'll take this oscar and maybe the tank, because I have no room for a 30gal. Hell I still have this 29gal tall sitting around on my deck doing nothing...

That is great news that you are going to call them. I wish you the best of luck. That Oscar sounds like a beauty and would be a terrible shame to have him killed just because his owner wants out of the hobby.

You should take the tank off his hands anyway.. Never know when you'll find the room for another tank. MTS hits when you least expect it ya konw.

You can make a post on craigslist.com. I needed to get rid of a few fish a while back and I had an overwhelming response. I had no problem finding suitable people to take them off my hands.

couple of things,
There is a big difference between 8" and 12" so which is it?
also, how old is the oscar?. If it has been living in a 30gal at that size for a long time chances are it has a curved spine and possibly other problems. In which case the best thing to do would be to euthanase.
Good on you for doing the right thing.

Matthew

Well I wouldn't know what size he would be because I havn't had a recent look.. The last time I saw him which was 3 or 4 months ago, he was pretty much inline, and about 8" or 9" wouldn't know at the moment, but I only assume growth in it. Its not like I can barge in and look at him.. Actually my neighbor doesn't know that I'm doing this post.. He just ask me to kill the fish and get rid of the tank this weekend.

Hoiw far are you willing to drive? I know of a couple of aquarium shops in Lakeland, FL that would take it off your hands...it's about 45 minutes away...but both shops were better than what was offered in Orlanda when I lived down there.

Back
Top Bottom