Everyone is dying - cant get ahold of ammonia levels!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megsmelody

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Had a 10g with 1 dwarf gourami, 1blk skirt tetra, 3 cardinal tetras, and 2 ottos. About a week ago I found 2 cardinals dead. The people of AA said it was ammonia, because mine was at 0.5. I switched from using Amquel to Prime for ammonia treatment. I then lost both ottos. Today I went to the lfs, and the recommended a water conditioner (I don't recall the brand).

My friends have recommended a full water change, or a new filter. Granted, I've had the same filter for 2 months, but I didn't think that was long.

Help!

Hi :)

Do you know your full water parameters (ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte, pH)? What are you using to test (liquid kit or strips)? How long has the tank been set up and was it cycled? How often and how large of water changes are you doing? Also, what type of filtration do you have and are you changing out the media (cartridges, etc...)?

*Sorry for all the questions...but it's what we need to help.

Dont change the filter/clean it. It holds important bacteria, or is trying to build up important bacteria that you need. You need to cycle the tank, theres a good link on a sticky about fishless cycling. That is something you should read because your tank isnt cycled and thats why the fish are dying. someone will post the link im sure.

your going to have to do water changes to keep the ammonia down every day, maybe not 100% but atleast 50% a day im assuming to keep the ammonia down.

I use a liquid kit, but it only indicates ammonia. I set up the tank maybe 2 months ago. I let it run without fish for a week. Is that enough of a cycle?

How can I do fishless cycling I'd not everyone is dead yet?

Also, my filter has a removable, replaceable piece that looks like a big tea bag. I don't know what to call it. I do half water changes every two weeks.

megsmelody said:
I use a liquid kit, but it only indicates ammonia. I set up the tank maybe 2 months ago. I let it run without fish for a week. Is that enough of a cycle?

How can I do fishless cycling I'd not everyone is dead yet?

Unfortunately, letting the tank run empty for a week is the pet store version of "cycling"...but in reality it does nothing. Actual cycling is developing beneficial bacteria in your filter which will convert the toxins your fish produce and keep the aquarium safe. Letting it run empty without an ammonia source really does nothing other than circulate the water...I'll never understand where that recommendation comes from :(

It's hard to know exactly whats happening without full test results...but I'd take a guess and say you're in the nitrIte spike phase of your cycle. This is an extremely dangerous time for fish...and you have to perform massive amounts of water changes to keep the toxin levels down. Are you currently doing water changes? If not, they need to be done every day...I'd start with doing a 75% change ASAP (using the Prime), then move to at least a 50% water change every day.

As Brittany said, the majority of your beneficial bacteria is in your filter media. Replacing it is a disaster waiting to happen. Make sure you keep it until it is literally falling apart, and simply swish it around in tank or dechlorinated water to remove the debris it builds up.

Now here's the other issue...stocking. Normally I just provide a link which shows you how to keep your fish safe during a fish-in cycle...but unfortunately in your case there's more issues than that. Both Tetra species you have need to be in a school of at least 5-6 members. That alone would overstocked your tank. I also feel 10 gallons is too small for a Dwarf Gourami...and even though Otos are small, they should ideally be in at least a 20-30 gallon, well established tank.

Telling people to return / rehome their fish is one of the last things I try and do...but unfortunately I just don't see a way for it to work with what you have. A 10 gallon really doesn't provide many options for fish...the smaller a tank is, the more difficult it is to maintain good water conditions as well.

Sadly a 10 gallon simply isn't enough water to provide the fish you have with a suitable environment IMO. Do you have any friends with established tanks you might be able to donate them to? Is it a possibility to upgrade to a larger tank like a 20 long?

Here's a few links to read. The first step right now should be large, daily water changes using Prime. Also do as much research as you can on the nitrogen cycle in aquariums...and potentially see if finding new homes for your fish is a possibility.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Nitrogen_Cycle.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

The way to "treat" the ammonia is to remove it, not by adding chemicals. To cycle with the fish you already have, you will need to do daily water changes of about 50%. Test your water before you do the water change so you will know how much ammonia is building up. One day your ammonia level will drop to zero and at some point before that you will need to invest in a kit to test for NitrIte and NitrAte. When ammonia hits zero you will start seeing Nitrites which are also toxic. You will need to continue doing partial water changes daily, testing for nitrite before each water change until the levels drop to zero. Once your ammonia and nitrite levels are always reading zero every day, you should see a steady increase in NitrAtes, then you will only have to do weekly water changes to keep the nitrates at an acceptable level.

Do not change the filter cartridge, it is where all your nitrifying bacteria live. Read the articles posted in the stickys in the beginners forum, or click on the articles section at the top and read as much as you can. The more you educate yourself the better.

EDIT *Do not buy ANY more fish until your tank is fully cycled. This could take 6-8 weeks, sometimes even longer for smaller tanks.

Back
Top Bottom