Exactly how do I set up a Quarantine Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyMamma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Should it be bare bottom? Plastic plants if so? I would think a totally empty tank would be stressful.

If I use a chunk of filter media from my healthy tank, will that automatically throw the healthy tank into a cycle considering the healthy BBs only exist in the numbers that tank can support via ammonia output?

Helpful hints?

~ Sent with an unladen European swallow

I forgot I had plastic caves and logs along with plastic plants in storage. Will these do instead of PVC pipes?

I washed everything in a mixture of tap water and vinegar. Rinsed well. It's all drying now.

I cleaned out the old tank and rinsed it well. I'll fill and drain it twice with tap before a final fill and dechlorinator Then I guess I'll get a chunk of the separate sponge filter in my tank (separate from my two HOB filters) and stick it in with fresh filter in the HOB filter on this tank.

Does that sound correct?

I forgot I had plastic caves and logs along with plastic plants in storage. Will these do instead of PVC pipes?

I washed everything in a mixture of tap water and vinegar. Rinsed well. It's all drying now.

I cleaned out the old tank and rinsed it well. I'll fill and drain it twice with tap before a final fill and dechlorinator Then I guess I'll get a chunk of the separate sponge filter in my tank (separate from my two HOB filters) and stick it in with fresh filter in the HOB filter on this tank.

Does that sound correct?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427387209.737294.jpg

Here's how it looks set-up. Is this too much! I tried to provide hiding places with the fake logs and plastic plants on the outside to kind of obscure the room. Also, I only have one bulb in the hood. That happened to be all I had but I'm wondering if the reduced light will help the fish be more comfortable.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427400812.741698.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427400825.814421.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427400838.738188.jpg

I'll be using this for platies come Sunday.

A home away from home :)

Using filter pad from an existing tank should be fine to fast track your new filter and shouldn't impact the old tank. If I thought I was taking a lot of media, I'd just do ammonia tests to check. The bacteria can survive weeks if not months without food (although may take a little time to crank back up) so should be fine until you get the new fish. Ammonia test to double-check until the bacteria adjust to the new load.

I tend to keep it fairly simple but really doesn't matter as long as stress on the fish is kept to a minimum imo.

Back
Top Bottom