Excessive Slime coat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stale Cupcakes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. I have a 20 gallon tank with one common goldfish (planning on moving him to a 50 gallon) and 2 nerite snails. When you bend down and look closely, you can see a bit of what appears to be an excessive slime coat on and around his dorsal fin. It is not at all very noticeable if you do not look carefully, but I recognize it (I can't get it to show up on camera). I am having trouble pinpointing why this is. I feel as though the reason may be, much to my dismay, poor water quality. My tank has a Aquaclear Fluval 50, is cycled and I recently started doing 50% water changes once a week (only recently, I used to do around 30%). Also, paired with being out of town often, having much work, and family members who can't really take care of my fish, water changes have been lacking, which I know is especially bad for him. Now that I am more free, I have made a new water change schedule that is 50% twice a week. I am wondering if I should label water quality as the reason for the slime coat. I have considered Chilodonella, but he really doesn't act or look sick. He is extremely active with a huge appetite. Advice would be appreciated, thanks.

It seems that the majority of problems regarding fish health can be traced back to water quality.

Back
Top Bottom