External parasite or fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree also - Finish up the meds and do an extra water change over the next week or two. Fresh, clean water is always beneficial. It's good that he is still active! Maybe his activity did contribute to some of the tears by swimming around the plastic plants fast.

Thanks you two. You are both so encouraging!

He looks a bit worse this morning, but I think I should still go ahead with my plan. He still has a great appetite. Although his energy seems a bit reduced, he's not lethargic or inactive.

His tank only has his favorite shell and a terra cotta pot in it :(.

Attachments

• Corwin 12.jpg
    Corwin 12.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Corwin 13.jpg
    Corwin 13.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 57
Aww, poor baby. That long vertical rip definitely looks like an injury from the plastic plant. That's what my one betta looked like too - one day he was fine, and the next day he had that long, straight tear, and I thought the plastic plant was soft too. Keep the water nice and clean and he will heal. Finrot won't automatically occur on a torn fin, but keep doing a few extra water changes to keep the water nice and clean and help him heal.

Every time I look at Corwin he seems to have less fin, which is more and more resembling the end of a frayed rope. More splits, more small holes, less actual tissue, no more signs of regrowth.

Did I stop the meds too soon? :cry:

He's still eating, zipping about the tank like nothing is wrong.

It won't hurt to add the meds again if you feel he is getting worse. He was doing so well, it would be a shame for him to get worse. He's too pretty to not have his beautiful finnage at top notch!

There isn't any black/red at the edges, just loss of fin tissue and splits. Is it possible that he is biting his tail? I could do another round of jungle. Also wondering about melafix?

I would do another round of Jungle Fungus Eliminator. I have had to use two courses of treatment back-to-back frequently. IMO, bettas don't do well on Melafix (the main ingredient in Melafix is also in Bettafix). It seems to be a good medicine for other fish, but there's a strong possibility that it will irritate the betta's labyrinth organ. I used it on my first betta and he didn't do well - he dropped like a rock to the bottom of the tank. I immediately did a very large water chage and he slowly perked up, but that was scary.

I will start another round of Jungle meds tonight....

Attachments

• Corwin 14.jpg
    Corwin 14.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Corwin 16.jpg
    Corwin 16.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Corwin 17.jpg
    Corwin 17.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 52
I think that's a good idea. I have had to do more than one Jungle Fungus Eliminator treatment at times too. The betta seemed to handle it well.

I do agree that melafix should not be used with bettas, it quite frequently irritates them. He should be fine with another treatment of Jungle. Keep us posted.

Recovery!!

As I was telling Deb yesterday, Corwin looks like he is in full recovery!

After listening to a hunch telling me that I shouldn't do yet another round of meds after all, I did a hearty pwc instead. And, it looks like my hunch was right! Looks as if dead tissue was falling off to make way for new growth (or something like that). I'm happy to say that he is looking excellent now, with nice even regrowth occurring fairly quickly to his caudal fin. He is as spunky as ever with a voracious appetite and eats his peas like a good boy :p. Can't wait until I can get him some live plants...he'll be even happier.

Now if I can just figure out the cycling mystery...

Do you see smooth, clear to whitish edges to the frayed areas? If so, that is a good sign. When I saw that with my bettas, like you are seeing now, the healing/regrowth is coming right along. It still may take a month or so to get the length back, but everything sounds good. Live plants will indeed make him very happy. I've never had bad or prolonged finrot in bettas that were in planted tanks.

Definitely seeing the smooth, clear to white edges.

It's weird, I had justed posted that I was going to go ahead with another med treatment. I was sitting there looking at Corwin and I suddenly thought, you know, I think I should wait at least until tomorrow because I've got a good feeling about waiting. It was like the aquarium angel was talking to me...:p

I had a betta with a similar problem that came from and injury. when he was scared and did a quick dash into something and it made a small white lession on his body. I can't be sure but it doesn't look like any parasite I have seen. It just sounds like and injury.

Just wanted to post an updated pic of Corwin's progress. The regrowth seems to be slow and steady now. You can see the white fin growth on the edges and in between.

Attachments

• Regrowth.jpg
    Regrowth.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom