Extremely Bloated Tetra - Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe Coetzee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, guys

Haven't been on the forum for a while. My wife recently noticed one of our neon tetra's is extremely bloated, looks like it might explode!

Ammonia is about zero
Nitrites are zero
Nitrates was 10ppm, but we did a water change today, 50%
Tank temp is around 26 Deg Celcuis
Tank is about 250L and running for more than 2 years
I'm using a Dophin C-1000 canister filter
There are about 3 neon tetra's in at the moment, 2 kuhli loaches, 1 plecostomus, 2 black neon tetra, 2 cory cats and 2 hillstream tiger loaches
Have had the fish for over 2 years now
No new decor has been added.

Any help would be appreciated!

IMG_20210428_191426.jpg
IMG_20210428_191346.jpg
IMG_20210428_193301_compressed.jpg

Hi, Autumnsky

Fish is still heave bloated, doesn't like like a pinecone, scales are still flat.
It's not very active, but swims around a bit, mostly hangs around in the corner of the tank.

Water condition is still good according to the test kits, and we do weekly water changes.

I will give the epsom salts a try, i will have to treat it in the main tank, as i do not have a hospital tank available, will this be okay for the other fish?

Update!

So i got some epsom salts, and did a partial water change on my 50 liter pleco tank to make sure parameters are in check.

Busy acclimatizing the tetra, i moved another tetra with him, looks like he has a lump on his side.

I am going to add the 1/4 epsom salt mix every 4 hours.

Just want to clarify, do i need to do a 20% water change every day for a week after adding the epsom salt mix?

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20210503_205715[1].jpg
    IMG_20210503_205715[1].jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20210503_205725[1].jpg
    IMG_20210503_205725[1].jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 35
It's just like 20% whenever you do water changes. Usually a weekly thing for maintenance. It won't harm the fish.

A lump could be an internal tumor, a badly infected organ, or a blockage, or egg issues if female.

Maybe need to put it down. If the ES doesn't help in a day or 2, you you not see improvement.

Clove oil can be found or ordered online or at the pharmacy. Make sure it is pure oil not imitation and that it does NOT have alcohol in it, like extract does (it burns their gills and what all).

Just keep up on extra water changes and excellent water quality to help the other fish in case it's something contagious.

Update:

So it has been a few days since i did the epsom salt bath, but no improvement thus far.
Now i am at a crossroad - do i wait a week an do another salt bath or do i put the poor fishes down?
Doesn't look like the fish is getting worse, but not better also.

Back
Top Bottom