Fan-tail Gold Fish, Sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gboutwel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey!

10 Gallon Tank, with 2 Fan-Tail Goldfish and a few snails. One of the Goldfish is getting real white in areas, especially around the mouth and eyes. I think I read somewhere that fish loosing their color is a possible sign of sickness. Should I be concerned what things should I be checking?

Thanks.

I'm moving this to the unhealthy fish forum just in case.

Coupla questions George:

Are the white areas raised at all? Is it a change in pigment, or does it look like mucus overlaying the areas? Are the fish eating? Breathing heavily? Acting different? How long have you had the goldfish and what size are they?

And what sort of lighting? Goldfish are notorious for losing color when they don't get enough sunlight, although I don't know if it starts out in specific areas like that. If you've had the fish a while and the tank gets no sun, it is possible they are simply fading; you can be more sure about that if they are completely healthy otherwise.

Allivymar said:
I'm moving this to the unhealthy fish forum just in case.

Coupla questions George:

Are the white areas raised at all? Is it a change in pigment, or does it look like mucus overlaying the areas? Are the fish eating? Breathing heavily? Acting different? How long have you had the goldfish and what size are they?

And what sort of lighting? Goldfish are notorious for losing color when they don't get enough sunlight, although I don't know if it starts out in specific areas like that. If you've had the fish a while and the tank gets no sun, it is possible they are simply fading; you can be more sure about that if they are completely healthy otherwise.

It doesn't look like it is raised or a mucus but it does look like that the pigment might be changing. They are eating and I don't think that they are breathing heavily. We have had these fish since mid September of 2003 and they are still, not including the tail, around 2.5 inches and acting pretty normal.

They are near a north window and don't get directly light but get what I would consider plenty of it. Unless the algae that I think is growing on the glass and plastic plants may be hindering the light from getting through.

What type are they? Regular solid orange Fantails? Or are they possibly Ryukins, Orandas etc. Most fantails are not bred as selectively as the other varieties.(does not mean they are less quality, just a larger possibilty of gene combos) Most goldfish start out an ugly silver and get more orange and as they mature they will change colors or become spotted. Ryukins however,usually are more white then turn nearly completly orange as they age. (but not always Ive seen them turn white as the orange shrinks). Also comets will turn from orange to orange and black. Also check the diet and make sure it contains caroten and other ingredients designed to prevent color loss.

A good link for Goldfish is http://www.goldfishinfo.com/
From their site:
Color Changes- If the goldfish was once black and has turned orange or was once orange and is turning white it could be that the fish has been kept indoors and without full sunlight. (which would be the case if you had a tank in the house). The fish is suffering from pigment loss in the skin. Red Capped Orandas are famous for losing the red cap. Orange comets are famous for turning white. The key is as follows:

Water quality is great
Discolored areas are not raised compared to the other skin
Discolored areas are not depressed under the rest of the skin
Fish is acting good, eating normally, and fins are erect and white ( no hemorrhaging)
..then the fish is healthy

Back
Top Bottom