Fan tail goldfish help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erin Sarah

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have just lost my fantail goldfish, I don't know what was wrong with him he got white spots and fin rot and I cured both of them, he then seemed to get black at the ends of him tail and fins I pit him in his own tank and put some natural based fin rot cure. He lived in the new tank for about 3 months then one day he started to float up on the top but was still alive. He did this for three days and then died, what could was the black on his tail be, he seemed healthy and happy before he started floating on the top.

Hi! What size was the tank he was in? Was the tank properly cycled? Did you test the water frequently with a good liquid test kit such as the API master kit? How did you treat the fin rot? Fin rot is almost always caused by poor water conditions. Black discoloration on the fins and/or body is a classic case of ammonia burns. High levels of ammonia essentially 'burn' off a fish's protective slimecoat & damage the tissue its protecting turning it black. This is most noticeable on the fins. The high ammonia levels that burned his fins likely also sickened him and resulted in his demise.

Are you familiar with the 'nitrogen cycle'? If not, please take some time to read up on this so you can understand how a healthy tank functions. I would suggest making sure your tank is properly cycled, adequately sized/filtered and stocked appropriately to prevent any issues in the future. Heres the guide to starting a fw aquarium with links to fishless & fish-in cycling:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

My water was fine I tested it everyday while he was in his tank, I have a 250L tank that is not over stocked at all. All my water test were perfect and my water cycle was fine, I do know the water cycle. I got told it was just where his fins has been damage from the fin rot and it was healing. I used a natural based cure for my fin rot

You mentioned specifically that you placed him in 'his own, new tank'. What size was this tank? If it was 'new' as you mentioned, then it would not have been cycled & would explain his ammonia burns & demise. What was the water change schedule on this 'new' tank? What exactly did you use to treat the fin rot?

Exactly how many fish were in the 250l tank when he got sick initially & what was your water change schedule on this tank? You also mentioned in another post that you add a 'powdered' substance with every water change to enhance colors...what exactly are you adding to your tank? The more information you can provide, the better we will be able to help you! :)

jlk said:
You mentioned specifically that you placed him in 'his own, new tank'. What size was this tank? If it was 'new' as you mentioned, then it would not have been cycled & would explain his ammonia burns & demise. What was the water change schedule on this 'new' tank? What exactly did you use to treat the fin rot?

Exactly how many fish were in the 250l tank when he got sick initially & what was your water change schedule on this tank? You also mentioned in another post that you add a 'powdered' substance with every water change to enhance colors...what exactly are you adding to your tank? The more information you can provide, the better we will be able to help you! :)

The new tank I had him in was already cycling as it is my back up tank, it's is about 150 L tank. I would change the water in the new tank about twice or three times a week depending on the way test results and that was the same with my bigger tank as well. I used a natural based cure called API pimafix and the powder to enhance colour was vivid. There were only 4 fish in the tank when he got sick and a pleco.

It could also be swim bladder syndrome, this is when the fish loses it's balance in buoyancy. I would suggest feeding them boiled peas.

aqua hobbyist said:
It could also be swim bladder syndrome, this is when the fish loses it's balance in buoyancy. I would suggest feeding them boiled peas.

That sounds like what happened to him, he just started floating one day but was still eating and trying to swim

Buoyancy issues do not result in a fish's demise unless something else was seriously wrong. I suspect theres more to this than meets the eye but without knowing all of the factors when this occurred, we can only make guesses here.

I tried to do some searching on your vivid product and could not find a single piece of information on the product or the company that makes it. Does it have an ingredient list? I honestly would stop adding unknown chemicals to your tank- a healthy diet alone with lots of fresh veggies & fruits & protiens in addition to a quality fish food will be sufficient to naturally enhance a fish's color.

Back
Top Bottom