Fancy Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IT-FishGuy

Aquarium Advice Regular
My wife has one fancy goldfish in a 20 gallon. (Slight upgrade from a 10) Lately the fish was gasping for air which I knew was a sign of problems with the water quality, so I checked it. Ammonia was kinda of high (1ppm) so I did a PWC. Apparently, it had been doing this for a while. Today I noticed the fish was flipping and doing headstands and floating. I was thinking swim bladder at first but checked the web and found it was the gasping for air that started it. :shocked!:

So we feed the fish peas, I checked the water which was fine (0 on all counts). I also dosed the tank with Melafix thinking that bacteria could also be an issue. This afternoon after floating in the morning the fish sank so I thought that was a good sign, it also passed floaters which was another good sign.

I know GF are dirty and I have kept Oscars and one GF a long time ago. I use to change their water out weekly and I am wondering if I will need to do the same here or more often? I'm also wondering if the tank is too small, the fish is currently 3.5 inches not counting the fins.

20 gallons should be fine for a fancy goldfish. How often do you do pwcs? 0 nitrates is kind of strange, are you sure you're shaking the bottle up enough? The latter isn't such a big deal, just curious.

Thought the same thing

Good to hear a 20 will do it. Yeah it was strange to not have nitrates of some kind in the tank, it does have a bit of brown algae in the tank. I can't remember when I did the 1st PWC. Maybe the fish has been "backed up" for a while? I'll go run another test just to make sure I didn't screw it up, but I followed the instructions to the letter.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yep tested correctly, no nitrates. Tanks been up for months

Back
Top Bottom