Fancy guppies dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nooboftanks

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently purchased 2 fancy guppies from the store yesterday 1 male 1 female the female has already passed and the male is slowly dying water conditions check out normal and the only other fish are glo fish and neon tetras in a 10 gallon tank what's going on!IMG_1508897291.825847.jpg hes been swimming upside down and falling to the bottom of the tank for hours I even properly acclimated them for 30 minutes after getting them from the store

How long has the tank been setup? Is this the same tank that had an 8.0 ppm ammonia reading a few weeks ago? What are the parameters now?

How long has the tank been setup? Is this the same tank that had an 8.0 ppm ammonia reading a few weeks ago? What are the parameters now?

Been set up for months yea this had 8ppm like 3 weeks ago but has since settled down amonia is at .5 I figured it was just a spike from having a dead fish in the tank while I was at work all day considering I couldn't get him out right when he died and he decayed into the water all other parameters are normal for the fish I have in the tank temp is 78F

Since your Neons are apparently okay, the guppies likely were sick when purchased, or something unfortunate happened during packaging at store or transporting home. Check on the LFS return policy.
I've read that a large percentage of Fancy Guppies are bred in Asia, and that they are shipped packed in brackish water as to reduce chances of illness. If that's true the initial acclimation process must be brutal on the fish.
Ask your LFS employee to feed the Guppies in your presence before buying next time.

Since your Neons are apparently okay, the guppies likely were sick when purchased, or something unfortunate happened during packaging at store or transporting home. Check on the LFS return policy.

I've read that a large percentage of Fancy Guppies are bred in Asia, and that they are shipped packed in brackish water as to reduce chances of illness. If that's true the initial acclimation process must be brutal on the fish.

Ask your LFS employee to feed the Guppies in your presence before buying next time.

Yea I've had 6/9 fish I've gotten from there die and they aren't very reputable outside of there discus considering it's a store that mainly focuses on discus so other fish must be not as high of a priotoity the other guppy has just passed so tonrow I'm heading back in for a refund!

I have bought some fish online (eBay) and they come healthier than what you would get at some stores. It's crazy! Hope you get your money back. Sorry to hear about your guppies.

I have bought some fish online (eBay) and they come healthier than what you would get at some stores. It's crazy! Hope you get your money back. Sorry to hear about your guppies.

Yea I might look into that almost every fish I get from the store is sick or doesn't live very log

I would strongly reccomend treating store bought guppies prophalactially with a worm medicine, ick medicine, and antibiotic. Salt, and fed only spirulina.
Swimming like that is a sign of swim bladder problems. Guppies are kind of prone to it.
I dont want to throw around a bunch of chemicals, but lately i have been using the following method
10 Gallon tank, spoonge filter (cycled) and heater set to 86, 2tbsp of solar salt (grocery store, like 5 bucks)
Kanamycin + Levimasole + Rid Ick
It works like a charm for me.
In the past, i have used methylene blue and ick med plus oxytetracycline flake, but the methylene blue kills all Good bacteria, so no point in using it anyways.

I would strongly reccomend treating store bought guppies prophalactially with a worm medicine, ick medicine, and antibiotic. Salt, and fed only spirulina.
Swimming like that is a sign of swim bladder problems. Guppies are kind of prone to it.
I dont want to throw around a bunch of chemicals, but lately i have been using the following method
10 Gallon tank, spoonge filter (cycled) and heater set to 86, 2tbsp of solar salt (grocery store, like 5 bucks)
Kanamycin + Levimasole + Rid Ick
It works like a charm for me.
In the past, i have used methylene blue and ick med plus oxytetracycline flake, but the methylene blue kills all Good bacteria, so no point in using it anyways.

Thank you I will look into purchasing those chemicals!

Matt, judging from your very informative post and even your guppy logo, I'm sure you are light years ahead of me regarding guppy info. It seems modern day guppies are whimps compared to those I kept as a kid. My friends and I kept them using prehistoric floss and charcoal bubble filters, no heaters, in 5 gal. Steel framed tanks. Always trying to think of ways to save the baby guppies from their parents. I haven't kept them in years. Have things declined that much?

Matt, judging from your very informative post and even your guppy logo, I'm sure you are light years ahead of me regarding guppy info. It seems modern day guppies are whimps compared to those I kept as a kid. My friends and I kept them using prehistoric floss and charcoal bubble filters, no heaters, in 5 gal. Steel framed tanks. Always trying to think of ways to save the baby guppies from their parents. I haven't kept them in years. Have things declined that much?

Yes mass forced reproduction of guppies has caused lots of genetic flaws it seems and there immune systems aren't as strong as they could be considering they are injected with hormones in some Asian farms in order to grow up faster and be shipped off to LFS for sale

That's a shame. I believe if I were in the market for Guppies, I'd buy solely from local breeders.

Back
Top Bottom