Fantail Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dodger

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!

This is my first post on this forum and wondered if I could call on some of your knowledge.

I have 3 fantail goldfish in a 180 litre tank and they are all very healthy, although I do have a slight problem with 1 of them - Brian.

Now Brian is a bit of a jerk and seems to like sifting from the surface of the water, which seems like a new thing since they have moved into this new aquarium. The other 2 don't do this, but Brian has trouble with his swim bladder and I'm sure it's down to this sifting from the surface taking in air.

I feed them a varied diet including peas and this seems to sort him out, but he does sometimes rest upside down in the plants. He also looks as though he needs to put more effort into swimming than the other 2.

Is there anyway I can stop him doing this? He doesn't seem to be stressed, looks healthy and at the minute he is looking normal and gliding around the tank.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Dodge...

What is your water change routine and how much do you change? Goldfish are heavy waste producers and need large, weekly water changes. Fish with scales really do best with a trace of standard aquarium salt added to the replacement water. The salt will discourage the development of parasites and pathogens that may have grown in less than pure water conditions. I keep several tanks of various species of Goldfish and use a level teaspoon or roughly 5 grams of aquarium salt in every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water. Floating plants like Anacharis, Hornwort and Water sprite are good additions to the Goldfish diet. Add Spirulina or minced garlic to your fishes' diet. Both are very nutritious. Could be just a particular vitamin that's missing in the fishes' diet.

B

Hello Dodge...

What is your water change routine and how much do you change? Goldfish are heavy waste producers and need large, weekly water changes. Fish with scales really do best with a trace of standard aquarium salt added to the replacement water. The salt will discourage the development of parasites and pathogens that may have grown in less than pure water conditions. I keep several tanks of various species of Goldfish and use a level teaspoon or roughly 5 grams of aquarium salt in every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water. Floating plants like Anacharis, Hornwort and Water sprite are good additions to the Goldfish diet. Add Spirulina or minced garlic to your fishes' diet. Both are very nutritious. Could be just a particular vitamin that's missing in the fishes' diet.

B

Hi B,

Thanks for reply.

I haven't had this new aquarium very long, but have been doing between 2 and 4 buckets (12 litre bucket) at the moment. Do you think I should be doing more? I've read some people do 50% or even more.

I have got aquarium salt, but only tend to use it now and again. I have read on the packet that it can be used as an addition in water changes.

I will do some research into the plants you mentioned, sounds like a good idea!

Thanks again!

Just as an extra voice on the matter; I've seen a lot of conflicting opinions regarding salt in freshwater tanks. Many people say it should only be used to treat specific illnesses while others add it regularly.

Just as an extra voice on the matter; I've seen a lot of conflicting opinions regarding salt in freshwater tanks. Many people say it should only be used to treat specific illnesses while others add it regularly.
Yea, I'm not sure if to use it on every water change or not.

Dodger...

I change more than half the water in my fish tanks every week. But, I would work up to this point gradually. You don't want to drastically change the water chemistry. The large, frequent water change will keep the dissolved waste material out of the tank water and the fish will be much healthier and the chances of a healthy fish in pure water conditions being infected with a parasite or virus are very unlikely.

B

Personally, I don't think long term use of salt is good for freshwater fish. What kind of food do you feed? I usually feed my goldies sinking pellets to encourage them to sift on the bottom of the tank rather than gulp air at the surface.

Big water changes are definitely a must with goldfish.

Dodger...

I change more than half the water in my fish tanks every week. But, I would work up to this point gradually. You don't want to drastically change the water chemistry. The large, frequent water change will keep the dissolved waste material out of the tank water and the fish will be much healthier and the chances of a healthy fish in pure water conditions being infected with a parasite or virus are very unlikely.

B

Thanks B,

Will step up the water changes a bit gradually.

Personally, I don't think long term use of salt is good for freshwater fish. What kind of food do you feed? I usually feed my goldies sinking pellets to encourage them to sift on the bottom of the tank rather than gulp air at the surface.

Big water changes are definitely a must with goldfish.

I feed them a mix of sinking pellets, that I soak before feeding them, peas, blood worms.

You said three goldfish but how big are they? Do you test your water for ammonia, NO2 or NO3?

You said three goldfish but how big are they? Do you test your water for ammonia, NO2 or NO3?
They are approx 15-20cm each, head to tail, but their tails are nearly half their body length.

Yes, water always tested, all parameters good.

They are approx 15-20cm each, head to tail, but their tails are nearly half their body length.

Yes, water always tested, all parameters good.
Ok so not monsters but still good size. I was thinking if they where a huge you may need to change more water but if you are testing that then you should be good.

I know several people on a goldfish forum I have been a member of for several years that swear by feeding duckweed. If you have a fish that habitually eats at the surface or Surface skims unfortunately that behavior is extremely difficult to turn around. The best you can do is like you said feed high quality sinking pellets and a variety of plant matter like the peas you mentioned.
A lot of my friends on there also like feeding jell food like repashy soilent green.

Ok so not monsters but still good size. I was thinking if they where a huge you may need to change more water but if you are testing that then you should be good.

I know several people on a goldfish forum I have been a member of for several years that swear by feeding duckweed. If you have a fish that habitually eats at the surface or Surface skims unfortunately that behavior is extremely difficult to turn around. The best you can do is like you said feed high quality sinking pellets and a variety of plant matter like the peas you mentioned.
A lot of my friends on there also like feeding jell food like repashy soilent green.

Thanks for the advice, yes I think this is something that he just likes doing! I have asked him to stop, but he doesn't listen!

Have looked into duckweed, but will look into the gell foods too.

Hi all,

Just to follow up on this thread, shortly after I posted this, I had removed the air curtain/bubbler that spanned the length of the tank and instead went back to my original air stone, which just produces air bubbles in 1 area of the aquarium.

Since doing this, Brian seems to be swimming normally again. I don't know if this could may be have been because there was so many small air bubbles in the water and he was swallowing too much air?

He does however, still like to sleep upside down, wedged up against the plants, but his swimming is back to normal.

Thought this might be useful to someone else, if they had a similar situation.

That's interesting. I wonder if there may have been some harmful buildup on the air curtain??

Regardless, goldfish aren't a species that needs a lot of extra air considerations. They certainly need some surface agitation, but a curtain bubbler isn't necessary.

I'm glad to hear the Brian seems to be doing better. His sleepy habits are certainly quirky!

Yea he has always been a bit odd, he used to nose dive into plants so he could wedge himself in-between the leaves so he could sleep!

His latest one is to actually manoeuvre himself under the leaves of a plant so he is nearly upside down, so he can sleep without touching the bottom of the aquarium!

Back
Top Bottom